Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Interent Explorer Not Working

• Please log in to reply

Mark Green

Mark Green

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi,

Just recently my Internet Explorer stopped working. I am able to use other browsers (Firefox, etc.). All I get is a white screen and the Internet Options tool is not accessible. I tried to reset I.E. settings but I keep getting a dialogue stating other windows are open and must be closed to start the reset (but I don't have any other programs running..at least that are visible!). I did perform a restore to a previous point (for a different issue) before I started having this problem so I am assuming that may have caused the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

jscrizzle

jscrizzle

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Let's try to determine if an add-on could be causing this issue.
Start IE in No Add-ons mode. In Windows 7 click the Windows Orb in the bottom left corner (the Start button) then type "Internet Explorer" and click the "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) option. If IE opens then the cause is a faulty add-on. Go to Tools -> Manage Add-ons. Change the Show drop-down to "all add-ons" and disable the first add-on. Close and restart IE normally. Do this until IE opens normally.

Mark Green

Mark Green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks. That did the trick. I got down a handful of add-ons and found the culprit (WhiteSmoke New toolbar????). Great help as always. It is greatly appreciated.

jscrizzle

jscrizzle

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Great! Glad to hear it. Look in Programs and Features to see if the toolbar is there. If it is, uninstall it.