Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Pc, Need wireless card for windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply

KeithK

KeithK

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey guys I recently built a new pc and unfortunately the network card I purchased doesn't work with windows 8.1. I need a wireless card because my router is located in a room that doesn't offer an Ethernet connection. You have any suggestions for a card I should buy? I would prefer it to be a PCI-E connection.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello KeithK

Before you go to the time, trouble and expense of purchasing a new wireless card can you tell us what problem/s you have encountered and the brand and model name or number of the present device that will not connect, is it this device from your build topic.

Many newer devices (not only wireless cards) will quite happily work in Windows 8 and 8.1 using W7, Vista and in some cases even XP drivers.

KeithK

KeithK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The device you linked from my build topic is the one that I ended up purchasing, after I made this post I did some searching and ordered this card http://www.amazon.co..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1.
The issues with the Rosewell card was that, even after driver installation It wouldn't pick up a signal, or even acknowledge one was there. I went back to the newegg page that I ordered it from and saw that a lot of reviews said it was incompatible with windows 8.1.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
That is poor on behalf of Rosewill not providing updated drivers for W8.1, Newegg would do well to state clearly that the device is not compatible with W8.1 as opposed to what they do state which is OS supported: Windows 8/7/Vsita/XP.

Your replacement device is of better quality/performance and I hope that you have no issues with it, did you note the following on the Amazon homepage •System Requirements: Windows 7 (32/64bits), Windows Vista (32/64bits), Windows XP (32/64bits) no mention of Windows 8 or 8.1

As an asides Keith can I ask whether or not you tried the Windows 7 or Vista drivers for the card.