Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting all partitions in win7

• Please log in to reply

00pm

00pm

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a fujitsu sh531 notebook with win7.I have formatted win7 for the first time.At some point it asked me which drive to format.There were partitions 4 partitions:

1 WINRE 2GB system
2 system ~500gb logical
3 HDBR_DRIVER 5gb oem (reserved)
4 HDBR_OS 13gb oem (reserved)

I formatted only second one not to mess things up but if its ok i want to format all of them in case of malware.

My question is what are these partitions used for and is it ok if i format them?

edit: btw i have a dvd for drivers

Edited by 00pm, 22 December 2013 - 05:30 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Do not format the other partitions because they are there for your Notebook to be able to install Win 7

No 1 is the Win7 installation files
No 2 is where you install Win7 (this one you can format)
No 3 is the drivers for your Fujitsu required by Win 7
No 4 are the OEM programs that came bundle up for your Fujitsu

So only format No 2 and leave the other ones as they are if you ever need to factory install Win 7 you will need them.

Hope that helps

00pm

00pm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Do not format the other partitions because they are there for your Notebook to be able to install Win 7

No 1 is the Win7 installation files
No 2 is where you install Win7 (this one you can format)
No 3 is the drivers for your Fujitsu required by Win 7
No 4 are the OEM programs that came bundle up for your Fujitsu

So only format No 2 and leave the other ones as they are if you ever need to factory install Win 7 you will need them.

Hope that helps

But i have recovery dvds which include win7 and drivers.I am a little paranoid so if i could format hdd completely i will be in peace.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you are certainhave a recovery dvd's then you can delete all other partitions