Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brand new Gateway not working

• Please log in to reply

Shay41

Shay41

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So I had bought a Gateway laptop for my girlfriend on Thursday and she just opened it last night. It was working fine at first, she uses it for about an hour and all was well. We than used it to watch a show on CBS.com. It was working flawlessly until all of the sudden a blue screen with a sad face popped up and said the computer had encountered an error, the error was "WHEA Uncorrectable error" or something along those lines, and would need to be restarted. It said it was collecting some information and would restart automatically when it was done. It got to 100% and nothing happened. We waited about 10 minutes before I just decided to force shutdown. I than tried to boot it back up and now it won't even turn on. The blue power button will light up but the screen is completely black. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I bought the computer from Wal Mart, and hopefully I could just take it back and get a new one if I need to, the problem is the receipt is at my house, which is 2 hours away from my girlfriends house. So if there is anything I can do to fix it I would like to try that first.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Sounds like a Driver or hardware issue.
Have you connecting anything to the laptop?

Do you have recovery disks or is the Recovery on a partition on the Hard drive?

If you have the disc.'s do a system recovery,put disc in,press either F8 or F9 to be able to boot from the CD/DVD Drive.

Also if you have the operating system disc you can try a repair from that disc,same procedure as above.

Edited by jds63, 23 December 2013 - 04:56 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

I bought the computer from Wal Mart, and hopefully I could just take it back and get a new one if I need to, the problem is the receipt is at my house, which is 2 hours away from my girlfriends house. So if there is anything I can do to fix it I would like to try that firs

If it were my laptop, I would read very carefully the terms of the warranty before doing anything. I would also email support and explain the issue and see what they say. If it was a car you bought and water did not come out of the windscreen washer, you wouldnot mess about with it yourself, you would take it back and get it fixed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
just to add my two cents :)

Try booting into Safe Mode with Networking, to do this with Windows 8 press Shift + F8 when you restart the notebook, if no joy, as iammykyl has advised take it back to avoid any possible warranty issues.