Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Centrino Wireless

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kazi86

kazi86

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys,
I just joined this forum board. I hope this question hasn't already been asked and im sorry if this post is in the wrong section.
I just bought a laptop that has the centrino technology built in. I also bought a wireless router (linksys 802.11 b model), it seems to be working perfectly fine with it, however, when i take a look at my "Available Wireless Networks", i see a bunch of different Access Points(i think thats what they are called) and a couple of them are secured but some are unsecured. Sometimes i can connect to an UNSECURED network but sometimes, even though the signal is very good, it won't connect to the unsecured network. I once disabled my firewall completely and all of a sudden it actually connected to an unsecured network but thne when i tried again it wouldn't work.
Any ideas why it won't connect even though the signal is high and it is unsecured? Could it be because the person has a different router or something? Sorry if i sound like a [bleep]....i'm not too familiar with this kinda stuff but i have done a fair amount of research but unable to find any answers.
Thanks

Edited by -=jonnyrotten=-, 13 June 2005 - 01:55 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well the other access points are different wireless connections around you (you live in a dorm right?). if you look closeley at these connections you will probably see that some of them have a picture of a little wireless router next to them with a corresponding letter like b or g. and some of them look like little computers. the routers are wireless networks either secure or unsecure. the little computers are adhoc wireless networks between two devices. if one with the router is unsecure you can connect to that connection with no problems (unless your firewall prevents it) the adhoc networks on the other hand will sometimes let you connect but don't really allow you to do anything. some connections also have secondary security software installed and those don't really show up as secured because technically the connection isn't secured, only the things the connection connects are secured.

kazi86

kazi86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the quick reply, it was really helpful. Right now i don't live in a dorm but i am gonna be in about 2 months. The networks are jus around my neighborhood. When i look at the networks i cant see if they are a,b or g. Maybe this is because its Centrino and not an external card? anyway, important thing is that i got the answer to my question.
i know they have a/g routers, but do they have a/b/g routers....that would allow me to connect to all wireless networks? or will that only come in the upcoming CENTRINO 2 technology? and again let me jus verify, only the type of router prevents from using the internet right(like if its either a,b or g, the brand doesn't really matter right?)

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
If you are not paying for the internet connection or have explicit permission to use it then this is illegal and this topic will be closed. We are not allowed to help people illegally steal others' internet connections.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

!!TOPIC CLOSED!!