Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading to Saphire Radeon R9 290x Tri-X

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
A speed increase would help for video/photo editing but insignificant difference for gaming. > http://www.tomshardw...-i7,2325-9.html
The same goes for amount of RAM, > http://www.techbuyer...m/RAMgaming.php
From what I see, the CPU/RAM are not the bottleneck. The GPU is not performing as expected.

This "Games Guides" is well worth reading, > http://www.techbuyer...amersguides.php

Advertisements

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Played Batman Arkham Origins on GeForce Experiences' recommended settings whilst recording with shadowplay, got the same FPS drops I normally get, however it isn't really noticeable in the recording.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

Played Batman Arkham Origins on GeForce Experiences' recommended settings whilst recording with shadowplay, got the same FPS drops I normally get, however it isn't really noticeable in the recording

From other blogs I have read, when you use one HDD to play the game and record, (FRAPS) read/write to the same drive, it will lower fps in the game but does not seem to affect the quality of the recording. If you record to a dedicatedseparate drive, the gaming fps will increase.

SLI enabled but only one GPU installed. Info from 2008, don't know if it still applies today. about the only reasonable explanation I have been able to find.
> http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/16908-single-gpu-sli-performance-mode/
Still think it is worth seeing if disabling SLI makes a improves in game play. In Reply #68 you were uable to find a tab to control SLI, see,> http://www.computerh...es/ch001167.htm
If it does work, try gaming with and without SLI. Is there a difference?

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

SLI enabled but only one GPU installed. Info from 2008, don't know if it still applies today. about the only reasonable explanation I have been able to find.
> http://forums.laptop...rformance-mode/
Still think it is worth seeing if disabling SLI makes a improves in game play. In Reply #68 you were uable to find a tab to control SLI, see,> http://www.computerh...es/ch001167.htm
If it does work, try gaming with and without SLI. Is there a difference?

There is still no option for SLI Configuration in the Nvidia Control panel as it only shows up when you have 2 GPU's but I only have 1. I can't understand why it is showing up as SLI enabled and why I can't disable it?

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
In the last 2 days my PC has randomly restarted, here is what happened;

First Time:
Playing Garry's Mod, Fans (GPU I think) turn up to full power and become very loud, the screen goes black and the PC restarts and asks me if I want to start Normally or in Safe mode.

Second Time:
Playing Insurgency (Also Source engine), Fans turn up to full power and become very loud, the screen goes black and the PC restarts and asks me if I want to start Normally or in Safe mode.

Is my GPU faulty? Maybe that is why it is not performing as expected?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

That could be the problem. Was going to suggest a RMA as I think you have taken reasonable steps to resolve the issue and, hope the RMA period has not expired?

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Gday.

That could be the problem. Was going to suggest a RMA as I think you have taken reasonable steps to resolve the issue and, hope the RMA period has not expired?

I'm not sure if it has expired or not, if it has it says that for repairs the card should be sent to EVGA not the retailer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If your GPU is faulty it is up to the retailer from where you purchased the card to put it right, check out the information at the link here , particularly the following "Contact the retailer - your contract is with the retailer and not the manufacturer"

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

If your GPU is faulty it is up to the retailer from where you purchased the card to put it right, check out the information at the link here , particularly the following "Contact the retailer - your contract is with the retailer and not the manufacturer"

I have contacted them, waiting for a reply, they aren't open Sundays so they will probably reply tomorrow.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:thumbsup:

Advertisements

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
The restart just happened again, this time when just on Google Chrome.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I really need help now, my PC keeps restarting regularly and I don't know what to do, the GPU manufacturer replied, but asked me for more info, and haven't replied back yet. My PC restarted 3 times whilst trying to watch a film. I tried a Windows repair and a Memory check but they said there were no problems. In the event viewer 2 things are happening when it restarts:

Bug Check Event ID 1001

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xfffffa8007a3a038, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\Minidump\020514-36270-01.dmp. Report Id: 020514-36270-01.

and

Kernel-Power Event ID 41

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

What should I do?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Please refer to the information here while iammykyl is offline.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Folks.
Thanks for stepping in Phillpower2.

JoeBenyon
If the crashing is still happening, I think we should eliminate the 780 being the cause by removing it and reinstalling your original card.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Gday Folks.
Thanks for stepping in Phillpower2.

JoeBenyon
If the crashing is still happening, I think we should eliminate the 780 being the cause by removing it and reinstalling your original card.

Took out the 780, put back in my 600 ti. Will see if it still crashes.