Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sata splitter?

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Is there such thing as a Sata splitter? For example, my pc has 3 sata ports on the motherboard but I have 5 components that need to be connected. Do they make a splitter that can go into a sata port and split into like 3 more sata ports? I checked newegg but I couldn't really find anything.

Edited by heartgrave, 26 December 2013 - 04:08 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello heartgrave

Never heard of a SATA splitter and in all honesty cannot see it being possible as SATA ports can only handle data transfer from one source.

An alternative suggestion for you is to fit an add on PCIE SATA port card such as the example here the cards are also available as PCI format but will not have the amount of ports or performance that you require.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Thanks for the reply!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:thumbsup:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Yes, SATA Splitter are present and you can connect the multiple componets but with some limitations. I have found the following link that would be helpful,Check it

"http://www.sfcable.c.../SATAPC-Y.html" :thumbsup: :happy:

That would be a power adapter, those are a dime a dozen, however the original question was relating to creating extra data ports. Hence the need for an expansion card to avoid a motherboard upgrade.