Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting old HDD to new Desktop PC

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I need to transfer data from a HDD that was installed in an old Pentium 4 PC to the HDD on a new PC I just recently built. The HDD from the Pentium 4 PC is SATA and I have SATA peripheral connectors on my new PC. I am concerned about compatibility issues since the HDD from the Pentium 4 is so old (circa 2007). The specs for the HDD (Seagate ST380811AS) show this on page 24, section 3.2:

-Configure the jumper block with a jumper as shown in Figure 3 below to limit the data transfer rate to 1.5 Gbits per second (and leave the drive connected to the SATA-equipped motherboard or host adapter that doesn’t
support autonegotiation) or
-Install a SATA host adapter that supports autonegotiation, set the drive jumper block to “3 Gbits per second
operation” (see Figure 3 below), and connect the drive to that adapter. This option has the benefit of not limiting the drive to a 1.5 Gbits/sec transfer rate.

My MB (ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer) has 6 x SATA3 6.0Gb/s connectors. Will I be alright connecting this HDD to my MB? Do I need to worry about the SATA speed difference between the HDD and my MB? What about the jumper on the HDD, can I set it to the 3.0 Gb/s setting, or leave it on the 1.5 Gb/s setting?

Thanks!

Edited by Webslinger64, 28 December 2013 - 02:26 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Webslinger64

Your Seagate link is saying page not found I`m afraid.

There is normally no need for moving jumpers on SATA HDDs, the ports on your MB will only transfer the data at the speed that the drive will work and with faster drives it also depends on the specification of the SATA data cable that is being used, ie a 6Gbs drive connected to a 6Gbs port with a poor quality 3Gbs spec data cable will restrict the transfer rate to 3Gbs, a good quality cable would not be affected.

Please make sure that you are 100% certain to which HDD you are transferring the data to so as to avoid overwriting the OS etc.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Hello Webslinger64

Your Seagate link is saying page not found I`m afraid.

There is normally no need for moving jumpers on SATA HDDs, the ports on your MB will only transfer the data at the speed that the drive will work and with faster drives it also depends on the specification of the SATA data cable that is being used, ie a 6Gbs drive connected to a 6Gbs port with a 3Gbs spec data cable will restrict the transfer rate to 3Gbs.

Please make sure that you are 100% certain to which HDD you are transferring the data to so as to avoid overwriting the OS etc.

Thank you for the reply phillpower2. Link should be fixed now if needed. I can use the SATA data cable that was connected to the old HDD, or I can use a new one that was included with my build, which I'm pretty sure is a 6Gb/s SATA data cable. Sounds like either option would work. Actually, what I'm thinking of doing now is connecting the old HDD to my PC, but then transferring the data from the old HDD to an external HDD using my PC as the go-between so to speak.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome Webslinger64 :)

Backing the data up from the HDD to the external HDD via the PC is a sensible option :thumbsup: