Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp pro serious issues...please help me

• Please log in to reply

Torquer

Torquer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello Techs,

I am having an issue with my computer, it is old and purchased used for simple tasks.
The issue is with the hard drive on my computer, I know it is the hard drive because I have been using another hard drive installed with windows xp home edition and the motherboard works fine.

So, onto what it does when I install the hard drive with windows xp pro. It will boot into the windows xp screen then a black screen with;
Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt
Last known working configuration
Start windows normally

Tried safe mode screen fills up with writing about drivers and partitions and restarts.
Every single option I try it just restarts, but will not boot into the operating system/welcome screen.

It was working flawlessly until about a week ago when I dropped my keyboard and it fell on its buttons I heard a beep and now this. Can someone please help me I can’t afford to pay someone and I have family pictures and school tasks on this hard drive. Any advice will be greatly and sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Computer info:

HP A708N
Windows XP Pro
80gb Seagate hd

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Torquer

Possible causes may include a corrupt/damaged OS and a damaged HDD.

To start with can I ask how much free storage space was/is available on the 80GB HDD.
Do you have access to another computer, preferably one that has internet access.

Torquer

Torquer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Free space was 15gb tops...how could me dropping the keyboard on the buttons cause a hard drive failure? Thanks for the advice...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Free space was 15gb tops...how could me dropping the keyboard on the buttons cause a hard drive failure? Thanks for the advice...

Sorry crossed wires as I was not suggesting that dropping the keyboard had caused the HDD to fail, I was offering just two examples of what could cause the behavior that you describe, as an asides though, keyboard or keyboard port failure can also prevent a computer completing the POST but you have ruled this out due to the fact that you have tried a second HDD and the computer worked without issue

The original 80GB HDD is also potentially nine years old and would have been best replaced before now in any event (high end Seagate and WD HDDs typically have a 5 year warranty and the less expensive 2 or 3 year warranties)this itself is a reason to suspect the HDD.

I also asked in my reply #2

Do you have access to another computer, preferably one that has internet access.

Can you answer this for us please, the present computer will do if it has the working HDD in it + internet access, this is to try and access and back up the data on the 80GB HDD.

Regarding how much free storage space is/was available on the HDD, please see my canned text below;

Please note that in order to avoid data corruption and/or mechanical HDD failure for data only HDDs you must always have a minimum of 10% of the HDDs overall storage capacity available as free space and between and 15 and 20% of a HDDs overall storage capacity available as free space if the OS is on it, the free space allows for information to be copied to and from the drive efficiently.

Not having the above can render a computer inoperable if the HDD concerned has the OS on it due to the MBR (Master Boot Record) becoming damaged/corrupt, please see information @ http://pcsupport.abo...sterbootrec.htm

You are welcome btw :)

Torquer

Torquer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, I don't have access to another computer, only limited internet access...how would I back-up data from an non-opt hard-drive? Spare cpu I have needs a power supply, and it is a HP a345w so, not sure it the hdd would work...as I'm a novice to computer repairs. Is there anyway to get the data from the hard-drive because I have photos of my dad on it and he's now dying with cancer. Sorry to rant. But thanks for the advice.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Torquer

If you are ok with working inside the computer you could try the following, as long as there is enough free storage space on the working HDD to back up the data from the 80GB HDD to it.
Put the working HDD that you have in the HP A708N and have it as the Master (boot) drive.
Connect the 80GB HDD that you are having problems with to the Master drive and set it as a slave drive (secondary).
Try and copy the data from the slave drive to the master drive.

A guide showing how to set up a Master and Slave IDE type drive configuration here

Unless the MB has ever been changed - your MB

let us know how you get on or if you have any questions.

NB: If no joy with the above we can try a software approach using Puppy Linux.

Torquer

Torquer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, tried what you suggested but the non-opt hdd does not show up in bios...not to be a noob but am I supposed to boot windows and then connect the non-opt hdd and try to transfer data? Thanks....

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

not to be a noob but am I supposed to boot windows and then connect the non-opt hdd and try to transfer data?

No worries as it is right to ask about something that you are unsure of.

The answer to the above is no, you should never work inside a computer that is powered up or connected to any form of electricity even if it is turned off, the electricity must always be 100% isolated/disconnected.

Just so that we are both on the same track can you please read the details below and confirm that they are the steps that you followed;

1: Attached the working HDD to the end of the data ribbon, this is the master drive.
2: Moved the jumper cap on the problem HDD so that it was on the slave pin settings.
3: Connected the problem HDD to the middle connection (the slave) of the same data ribbon that is connected to the working master HDD.