Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 re- install question

• Please log in to reply

redx

redx

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

My O/S is Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

I have a new 60gb SSD on which I would like to do a fresh install of my Windows O/S and have it as my C:/ drive . My O/S is currently installed on a 1Tb HDD which will only be used to store files and programs.

My question is - Do I have to reformat the Hdd to get rid of that installation of Windows first before installing Windows onto the SSD?, or can I just temporarily disconnect the Hdd from my pc, do the fresh install of Windows onto the new SSD, then reconnect the old Hdd, rename it and delete it's C/Windows folder. I can't clone a system image from my Hdd because, at 165Gb, it is too large for the SSD..

I have backed up everything I want to keep onto a separate storage drive so losing data should not be an issue.

Thanks,
redx

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday redx.
The second option is the correct way to go.
First read the SSD install directions. Do they suggest a firmware update before installing the OS. Make sure the SSD is connected to the lowest numbered 6GB/s SATA connection, will be #0 or #1.
After you have completed the OS/MB/GPU drivers/software install, updated where nec. installed virus protection software, I would then, not install any other programs but use the computer for a couple of hours to ensure it is stable. Then

Shutdown, > Miss the next numbered SATA connection from the SSD, Connect the HDD. > Restart the computer and enter the BIOS. > (I prefer to have the USB or Optical as first boot.) Make sure that the first disc to boot is the #0 or #1 where the SSD is connected. > Save Setting, > exit.

You can now use Disc management to format the old drive.
Consider moving the My Docs/downloads/program folders to the HDD.
Create a OS drive image and recovery media.

redx

redx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi iammykyl,

I appreciate the reply.

The process seems pretty straight forward, thanks for setting me on the right track.

Cheers,
redx

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome, Posted Image
If you do hit a snag, "just Whistle"

redx

redx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Your welcome, Posted Image
If you do hit a snag, "just Whistle"

Hello again iammykyl,

Thanks again fro your help in this matter,

I installed Windows 7 onto my new SSD and the activation was successful. The new install recognized my old Hdd ok (now assigned the drive letter(D). It also shows the old Windows system reserve partition as Drive (G). I have been running the new system all day and everything seems to be stable so I'd like to get rid of the Windows O/S on the old Hdd (D). Is it safe to just DELETE the D/Windows folder (leaving my old User folder in place) and then DELETE the system reserve partition (G)? Or is it better to reformat the hdd? I have my data safely backed up onto a separate drive.

Regards,
redx.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
It is a much better procedure to delete all partitions resulting in unallocated space.
then create a partition and format. If this is to be your Data/Storage drive, refer reply #2.

redx

redx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Oh sorry, my brain must have a memory problem. I should have re-read the second reply where you've already told me what needs to be done.

Thanks again for the help.

redx.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posted Image
If you have more questions of need help, please post.