Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows wireless usb Wifi driver extract ?

• Please log in to reply

savvyMatthew

savvyMatthew

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok... i have a old wifi usb stick My link And im just gonna try the driver first but its old as [bleep] as I have v1. so its for XP, Not sure if it will work.

But when i plug it in the USB windows does it thing where it searches for a driver on there sever and it downloads it and it works perfectly.

So i need to know if i can extract that driver that windows installs. Im just not sure how to do that ?

Thanks for any help :)

Advertisements

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts
I don't know about extracting the driver(s) but you can copy them. You can go to Device Manager (Start > Control Panel > Device Manager) and look for the USB WiFi Network Adapter (it should be in the Network Adapter 'directory') and then double click it to open the devices Properties page. Click on the Driver tab and then on Details to find out what drivers Windows has loaded for your device. You can copy these files for backup purposes but your best bet is to go to the Device's OEM web site and see if they have updated drivers available for your device.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'm curious why you want to do this? Since Windows detects the adapter and automatically installs the right driver, what's the point?

As I said, just curious.