Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very very frequent freezes / BlueScreen while gaming!

• Please log in to reply

Poochman

Poochman

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello, hopefully i've come to the right place in asking for help. I've been to a couple different sites to help troubleshoot my issues and none have helped out.
I would like to point out that i'm not too aware of what information is needed but ill do the best of my ability to help you help me!

My custom PC build:
EVGA P67 SLI motherboard
8gb ram
i7 3770k @ Stock
BRAND NEW Evga gtx 760(Just put it in and it crashes with other Gtx 560ti)
2 monitors / 27"@1920x1080 (brand new) / 23"@1920x1080

Here is the example most recent, however there are many more very similar in Bug strings (i'm not the smartest about what all information you need but i will be able to provide more if necessary)

Since a lot of errors from the bluescreen reports have something to do with USB's or Driver's i'll go ahead and list the currently plugged in accessories.

Razer Deathadder Mouse
Razer Carcharias Headset
Logitech G105 Keyboard
and a Linksys N300 Wireless-N USB adapter | IT MIGHT BE THIS! The card works perfectly on my other brothers computer (i have 2 of the same adapter) but for some reason i can only connect to 2.4GHz when my router is using both 2.4 and 5.0GHz (again, my brother can connect to the 5GHz connection where i cannot) and whenever i crash i have to un-plug and plug it back in to get internet access back.

========================================================
Dump File: 123013-13104-01.dmp
Crash Time: 12/30/2013 11:59:17 PM
Bug Check String: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code: 0x000000d1
Parameter 1: 00000000`00000004
Parameter 2: 00000000`00000002
Parameter 3: 00000000`00000008
Parameter 4: 00000000`00000004
Caused By Driver: USBPORT.SYS
Caused by Address: USBPORT.SYS+1154a
File Description: USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company: Microsoft Corporation
File Version: 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Processor: x64
Crash Address: ntoskrnl.exe+6f880
Full Path: C:\Windows\Minidump\123013-13104-01.dmp
Processor Count: 8
Major Version: 15
Minor version: 7600
Dump File size: 292,216
Dump File Time: 12/30/2013 11:59:55 PM
========================================================

If there is any information needed to provide a better understanding of what's causing the problem if the above is not enough, please tell me and i'll be happy to get what ever it is. This has been happening for quite a while now on my PC and I would REALLY appreciate some assistance to get my system up and running again.

Thanks for any and all who take their time to help in advance! <3

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Poochman

Have you checked the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red Xs associated with the USB ports.

Was the same issue happening before the addition of the GTX 760 (I suspect yes as you have said it has been an issue for a while).

BTW have you confirmed that the GTX 760 and the GTX 560Ti are compatible in Sli (I found nothing on Google to confirm this).

How many HDDs do you have (inclusive of any SSD/s).

What is the brand and model name or number of your PSU.

As an asides Poochman, it is not wise to follow the guidance of more than one tech site, this because it can become confusing as to whose guidance you are following + heaven forbid that something goes drastically wrong it could cause a blame culture to arise, please decide which guidance you wish to continue with and advise the other tech site/s accordingly, thank you for understanding.

Poochman

Poochman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello! So sorry for the delayed response I have been busy with stuff for the new years, hope it's not a problem!

I'll just address your questions in order

I checked device manager and the only thing that stood out from the rest was the "Other devices" tab where some of them had "!" http://imgur.com/hHHzS63 just to show, idk if that's what you were looking for or not but hope it helps.

Yes i have had the issue before with both cards, and i have tested the cards in my computers desktop that works fine, so my 760 isn't the problem (hopefully O.o)

Clarification - I'm not running SLI i just swapped the cards because i dont think my power supply will be able to handle it, and I have uses for the extra. So i'm not currently in SLI

I am currently using 1 TB HDD @7200 rpm just some standard nothing fancy hard drive, no ssd's or multiple disks.

I'm pretty sure (i have 2 so it might not be it, but im about 95% sure it is) it is a Corsair CX500, I switched it with my brothers and i cant tell by looking inside my case unless i dismount it from the chassis.

And i'm not sure if i got what you said 100% but right now you're the only ones i'm seeking information from, I have looked at 1 other forum i think for assistance and they didn't help me really... I was refereed here from a friend and thought we could make some magic happen!

Anyway, sorry again for the late response and thanks for getting back to me. Again, if you need any more information just ask and ill try to help out as much as i can.
thanks and happy new year!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Happy New Year Poochman and no worries about the delay as none of us can be here 24/7 ;)

Thanks for the additional information :thumbsup:

If you right click on the yellow SM Bus and USB Controller what options are given (PCI controller asides for the moment please).

Download and save to your desktop the latest drivers for the three items in your Device Manager that have the yellow ! against them, the drivers are available from here
Do not install them just yet, provide your update first please.

Ok on the Sli and number of HDDs etc :thumbsup:

A Corsair CX 500 would be fine with the GTX 760 and the GTX 560Ti as long as it is not the 448 Cores Limited Edition version as that requires a PSU with a minimum 550W output, please take off the side of the case and check this, you should see Corsair CX 500 clearly displayed on the top or the side of the PSU.

From your OP;

I've been to a couple different sites to help troubleshoot my issues and none have helped out.

Gives the impression that you have already requested help on other forums, no harm done if not and hopefully you understand why we have to check.

Poochman

Poochman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Alright so here are the options given when right clicked on the 3 controllers Posted Image
I was having a bit of trouble finding the drivers for the items on your link. I Downloaded (under the Graphics Card tab - GeForce 700 Series Family with Windows 7 64bit) the 11-19-2013 Driver version 331.82 and that is now on my desktop
the second tab for motherboard stumped me, i'm not quite sure what i'm looking for out of these options Posted Image
Same goes for the Other Products tab i'm not sure what im looking for in these options. Posted Image

You're right i checked my other computer and confirmed that i'm not using the 500watt, i am using the Rosewill 630-Watt Green Series 80 PLUS, sorry about that confusion, i don't have the boxes for mine so i couldn't distinguish it very well.

So all i really need is to find out what category im supposed to choose for the EVGA download center so i can get the correct drivers, and then I will have them ready to go!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Download and save to your desktop the chipset and the USB 3.0 drivers please, again do not install them at the moment please.

Next try the easiest approach which is to choose the Update Driver Software option in the Device Manager, start with the SM Bus Controller, if the driver updates successfully , once the computer has restarted check the Device Manager to see if the yellow ! against the SM Bus Controller has gone, repeat the procedure with the USB Controller and post back with an update please.

Poochman

Poochman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Alright all the files have been downloaded and are ready on my desktop.

Only the PCI Simple Communications Controller was able to update by the Update Driver Software option. So SM Bus Controller and Universal Serial Bus Controllers are left.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
First of all create a new restore point, next, go into the Device Manager, right click on the SM Bus Controller, uninstall it and then choose the Scan for hardware changes option, restart the computer and check that the yellow ! has gone.

Update us please before doing anything further.

Poochman

Poochman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Unfortunately, the drivers did not update and the yellow ! appears on the device.

I assume try the same for the other driver but I can only guess the same result. :) your call!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If you have not done so already please try installing the drivers for the SM Bus manually and again restart the computer ect.

Advertisements

Poochman

Poochman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Unfortunately no such luck with either of the installs. Brings up this message when it says "drivers failed to update" or something

Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Have you checked that the drivers that you saved to your desktop are good.

Create a new restore point and then try a different approach, uninstall (only) the SM Bus Controller in the Device Manager, restart the computer and see if the hardware wizard detects new hardware, if it does try and install the SM Bus Controller drivers that you have saved on the desktop.

Poochman

Poochman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yet again i'm not having any luck installing the drivers, it says it could not find driver software. This time I tried it with both and neither of them seem to want to update.

Are you wanting me to go into the folders and actually run the .exe's? or just use the device manager (this is what i've been doing)?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

run the .exe's

:thumbsup:

Poochman

Poochman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hey there! It's been awhile sorry about that, but I was able to install and get rid of the yellow '!' next to the drivers in the device manager. HOWEVER, i'm still blue screening. one from the 7th (the day i actually fixed the drivers) and one today (only two days i've really been on my computer since school just started back up).

I'll go ahead and provide the blue screen report below.

I would like to mention that I'm not always blue screening, I have been freezing and just having to manually restart the computer and it's pretty darn frustrating.

Thanks again for your help.

==================================================
Dump File : 011014-14398-01.dmp
Crash Time : 1/10/2014 5:01:47 PM
Bug Check String : KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x0000001e
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : tcpip.sys
Caused By Address : tcpip.sys+16b9a0
File Description : TCP/IP Driver
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+6f850
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\011014-14398-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600
Dump File Size : 292,192
Dump File Time : 1/10/2014 5:02:28 PM

Dump File : 010714-12199-01.dmp
Crash Time : 1/7/2014 11:04:46 AM
Bug Check String : UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
Bug Check Code : 0x0000007f
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000008
Parameter 2 : 00000000`80050033
Parameter 3 : 00000000`000406f8
Parameter 4 : fffff800`035105ed
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+6f880
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7600.17273 (win7_gdr.130318-1532)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+6f880
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\010714-12199-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600
Dump File Size : 292,200
Dump File Time : 1/7/2014 11:05:28 AM