Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem connecting a wireless printer and using tethering at the same

• Please log in to reply

ouiallo

ouiallo

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi, My wife recently purchased a wireless printer, and we also use our smart phones for tethering. The problem is we only have one wireless card on our computer (I think, not sure here) and so, we cannot use both on the same connection, in other words, useless. After a bit of googooling I found a few answers that didn't really seemed to work, maybe cause of my lack of knowledge, or they are simply pointless.. I still haven't figured out how to make this work.

ideas proposed to me:

1- use USB tethering for my internet instead of Wi-Fi:

The problem here is we have a window 8 phone (Lumia 620), which doesn't seem to support USB tethering. This guy says it can be done thru some dodgy ways but I am a bit scared to fiddle with the phone... http://justfoundimpo...ml#comment-form
I would prefer if there was a simpler way.

2-use a Ethernet router as a wireless network for devices only:

This idea seemed more intelligent, and it actually worked half way. I was able to print using my router and connect to my phone's data, only problem is, as soon as I would try to open internet explorer, a connection error would come up (see attachment). I am unable to bridge these 2 connections for some reason (all it says is it is a sharing problem of some sort, wont let me know why). I also don't know how to disable the internet sharing from my router (no options from the router IP). And honestly this is getting a bit to savvy for me that I get lost here...

3- create a VPN or a workspace:

Now, I don't even know what this means really, and as soon as I press on it, it ask me for a lot of numbers and questions which I have no ideas what they are.

4- use a hammer and take out my frustrations:

seriously considering this one!!!

I am using windows 7 on my computer and a Netgear N150 router
Any ideas? Please speak slowly, it gives me a headache just to think about computers, I have a vague idea but no training.
Cheerios Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Edited by ouiallo, 01 January 2014 - 02:32 AM.

Advertisements