Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC randomly restarts when i play graphically intensive games

• Please log in to reply

captinbadluck

captinbadluck

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi

so i built my own gaming pc about 5 months ago and i have had no problems what so ever. But during this week i have had many problems with my pc restarting when playing graphically intensive games, such as F1 2013 and flight simulator x.
please help ASAP!

thanks

Edited by captinbadluck, 01 January 2014 - 04:10 PM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
What's the operating system installed?

It sounds like it's blue screening. Do you see a blue Screen briefly When it restarts ?

Thanks
Joe :)

captinbadluck

captinbadluck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Joe

The operating system is windows 7 64 bit. and there is no blue screen what so ever. the screen just goes black and the PC shuts off

:confused:

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
I'm not an expert here on this sort of thing,

but it sounds like a possible video card issue or over heat problem especially when you state:

playing graphically intensive games

That's when the video card works the hardest, so I wonder if it's overheating or a fan issue, I'm sure you have already checked all that.

What Video card is installed ? That may help others who reply.

Thanks

Edited by zep516, 01 January 2014 - 04:40 PM.

captinbadluck

captinbadluck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The video card is an AMD HD7970 and its more than capable of running the hd games. could it have something to do with the psu because i have heard that this issue can be related to this?

:confused:

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Yes!! certainly it can be the psu. What psu is installed?

captinbadluck

captinbadluck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
the psu is a corsair cx600. Maybe it could be related to the graphics card needing more power for those graphically intensive games and after a while it just shuts the whole system down because it cant power it? :wacko:

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Why are you making that funny face, that's exactly what could be happening. Sometimes the best course of action is to replace suspected bad parts to see if that resolves it, easier said then done because most people don't have a spare power supply around. Do you ?

captinbadluck

captinbadluck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No unfortunately i don't have a spare psu. but the good news is that my corsair cx600 comes with a 3 year warranty. so i will send it back and try that one. I will keep you updated on what happens.
thanks. :thumbsup:

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
That's great you have that option.

Let us know how it goes...

Thanks