Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help deciding

• Please log in to reply

imnogeek69

imnogeek69

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi so im new to gaming and need some help the laptop i have is terible and want to upgrade

here is my first choice what i was kinda looking at as it has a good size ram quad core and decent ghz
http://www.argos.co....mber/237752.htm

and secondly

http://www.maplin.co...windows-8-a40lx

thanks and idk if it has windows 8 as it think its ok

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: imnogeek69

Both have + and - points, neither will make a prolific gaming machine.

It would be too long winded for me to go into separate details regarding the ups and downs of both PCs individually so I will list here some important points to look out for;
The Zoostorm has a quad core, the Asus has a dual core.
The Zoostorm has 8GB of Ram but what speed is it, the ASUS has 6GB of 1600MHz which is the speed that you want, 8GB of 1600MHz would be best.
The Zoostorm has a 2TB HDD but again what speed is it, the ASUS has a 7200rpm 1TB HDD which is the minimum spec to have.
The Zoostorm has integrated graphics that will get you by for now but for gaming a good quality add on video card is best, the ASUS has a bottom end video card in the GT 620 and you would also need to upgrade this for decent gaming performance, the card may have 2GB of memory but it is also only 64-bit so not the best video, aim for 256-bit for AMD cards and 192-bit minimum for Nvidea cards, again 256-bit would be better. GT 620 benchmarks here
The Zoostorm does not have any USB 3.0 ports, the ASUS does.

One other very significant point is that neither computer specs provide the PSU details, this because system builders such as ASUS and Zoostorm mostly use low end, stock PSUs to keep their build costs, factor in the cost of having to upgrade the PSU in the future and you are looking at adding between £50 and £75 to the initial cost/s.

If you tell us your maximum budget we can see if we can find a computer that better meets your needs.

imnogeek69

imnogeek69

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i could spend maximum £400 its not alot plus i would like to find one in the uk and not have to build my own one

listing what you said i have found a better one i think

it has a i3 processer
and a dedicated graphics card
http://www.argos.co....ductInformation

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You can do better by purchasing a barebones set up, this will allow you to get what you need now + allow you to add an upgraded video card when your budget will allow it, Google barebones PCs and you will find sites such as Dabs, Novatech and Scan just to name a couple, have a look what they offer and when you see one that you are interested in post the link and we will take a look at the spec for you, here is just one example of what is available, please note that you will need to purchase an OS and I suggest Windows 8 or 8.1 64-bit as this will remove the cost of upgrading from Windows 7 in the future when support from Microsoft ends for it.