Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Speed, Cores, & Multiplier

• Please log in to reply

rhymin

rhymin

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I downloaded CPU-Z and it showed that only 3 cores and 3 threads were operating in my Phenom II x4 965 (3.4GHz) CPU. It is obviously a quad-core CPU, so I went to my BIOS to unlock the 4th core. First of all, my motherboard is a BIOSTAR Group TA990FXE.

I went into the BIOSTAR BIOS and BIO-unlocking was already enabled. I changed OverClock Navigator from Normal to Automated. I also changed Auto OverClock System from V6 to V8-Tech Engine (had the options of V6, V8, or V12). I then booted up and went back to CPU-Z and it showed 4 cores and 4 multipliers. However, I noticed that the Core Speed would fluctuate from 917 MHz to 3909 MHz, and the Multiplier would fluctuate from x4.0 to x17.0. A few minutes later I got a blue screen.

I'm still operating with 4 cores and 4 threads, but am not OC'ing right now. The core speed and multiplier are still fluctuating though from 800 MHz to 3300 MHz.

I'm wondering if 1 core is unstable or if I'm doing something incorrectly in my BIOS?

Advertisements

chessgame

chessgame

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello rhymin are you you still having a problem with this, if you are let me know, will do what i can to help, off to work now so will be 2300hrs uk time, before i get back on here is this a different motherboard than in your other post ?,

Edited by chessgame, 06 January 2014 - 06:31 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for coming in chessgame, Posted Image

chessgame

chessgame

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Rhymin have you got the cpu running stable with all 4 cores open.

The core speed of 800mhz to 3300mhz and multiplier going from x4 to x17 is exactly what your unclocked cpu should be doing,

x4 and 800mhz is what the cpu will run at when it is just standing doing no work.

But if you run a game, and make the cpu work hard you will see it fluctuate and hit 3300-3400 with the multiplier getting up to its max of x17 , you should have a bus speed of around 200mhz. this is exactly what it shoud be doing Posted Image.

When you overclocked it to 3.9 it went unstable and caused the bsod,

Could be a temperature or voltage fault or both.

And iammykil your welcome.

Edited by chessgame, 07 January 2014 - 03:45 AM.