Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer memory says it is full

• Please log in to reply

benjob

benjob

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Good evening,

I keep getting a message saying that the D drive is full but when I look at the size of all the files in it it shouldn't be.

I have moved stuff to my C drive but it doesn't make a difference for very long and has resulted in my computer being messily arrange. Would like to tidy it up and sort out the problems.

How would you advise freeing up space and also tidying up my files?

May thanks,

Ben

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello benjob

The first thing that I suggest is that you burn what you can to disk or USB thumb drive etc and uninstall any old programs or games that you no longer play, let us know when you have done that and include as much information about your computer hardware and software as you can.

Please note that in order to avoid data corruption and/or mechanical HDD failure for data only HDDs you must always have a minimum of 10% of the HDDs overall storage capacity available as free space and between and 15 and 20% of a HDDs overall storage capacity available as free space if the OS is on it, the free space allows for information to be copied to and from the drive efficiently.

Not having the above can render a computer inoperable if the HDD concerned has the OS on it due to the MBR (Master Boot Record) becoming damaged/corrupt, please see information @ http://pcsupport.abo...sterbootrec.htm

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
First, you should check the filesystem on the disk, such as chkdsk (depending on your OS). You can have files which you can't see. Sometimes there are files which were temp. files and have not be properly removed due to problems or a system crash.

Also realize that the space actually used for the file is not the space that is taken on the disk. For example, a file with one character in it takes more than just one byte and instead it takes a minimum based on the blocksize of the filesystem, such as 4k. This means a lot of small files will take a lot of disk space.

How did you determine the size used vs. what the system claims?