Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cME Disk Error - Copying BEER and DoS into FDA Failed.

• Please log in to reply

joed222

joed222

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am installing a new (larger) HDD in a WinXP-Pro SP3 computer.
With old and new drives installed I used Norton Ghost to copy the old drive to the new one.
Power down and unplug old drive, restart. I get this error:
cME Disk Error - Copying BEER and DOS into FDA Failed.
Reconnected old drive and system starts OK.

Started from scratch and downloaded Acronis from WD site (the new drive is a WD).
Cloned the drive again and got exactly the same results.

Ran Recovery Console and did fixmbr on the new drive. No change in symptoms.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi Joed :welcome:

It seems the problem could be from a protection program called FirstWare Recovery do you have this installed?

I found the program manual here.

You probably need to disable the protection or uninstall the program before cloning.

joed222

joed222

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi Joed :welcome:

It seems the problem could be from a protection program called FirstWare Recovery do you have this installed?

I found the program manual here.

You probably need to disable the protection or uninstall the program before cloning.

Progress! You were correct, I found FirstWare Recovery on the computer. After removing it and re-cloning the HDD I no longer get the cME Disk Error. Now I get "A disk Read error occurred, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart." I ran fixmbr on the newly cloned drive but I still get this error. Additional information: This is my Wife's computer and she rarely lets me near it. I have no idea what other software she (or the grand-kids) may have installed. Any further suggestions?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Progress! You were correct, I found FirstWare Recovery on the computer. After removing it and re-cloning the HDD I no longer get the cME Disk Error. Now I get "A disk Read error occurred, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart." I ran fixmbr on the newly cloned drive but I still get this error. Additional information: This is my Wife's computer and she rarely lets me near it. I have no idea what other software she (or the grand-kids) may have installed. Any further suggestions?

Two questions:
- Which is the size of the new HDD?
- Which tool did you use to clone?

joed222

joed222

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Two questions:
- Which is the size of the new HDD?
- Which tool did you use to clone?

Old drive ST3250823, 250GB
New drive WD10EZEX, 1000GB

I cloned the drive using Acronis True Image WD Edition, downloaded from the WD website.

I am currently running the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnosis. <edit> the diagnostic did not find any problems. </edit>

The WD website implies that you need to run the WD Align program if you are installing XP on an Advanced Format Drive. So I ran the align program and it reported that all partitions are already properly aligned.

Edited by joed222, 06 January 2014 - 12:11 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

Is the new disk correctly detected by the BIOS?

Edited by SleepyDude, 06 January 2014 - 01:41 PM.

joed222

joed222

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi,

Is the new disk correctly detected by the BIOS?

Yes, the drive is OK in BIOS.

As long as I boot the OS from the old drive I can access the new drive. All of the files I cloned from the old drive are visible on the new drive and I can access them.

I only get the disk read error when I try to boot from the new drive.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Try to execute the steps posted by Rshaffer61 on this post.