Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

scan to computer not enabled

• Please log in to reply

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
good afternoon.

I have a hp pavilion dv7-6135dx laptop and a hp 3050a j611 all in one printer on a wireless network. I recently discovered that the scanner is not working. I used the disc that came with the printer to try and load the driver that the hp troubleshooter said was missing to no avail. I also went to the hp website and downloaded the updated driver but this also did not work. any help with fixing this would be appreciated.
thank you.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I used the disc that came with the printer to try and load the driver that the hp troubleshooter said was missing to no avail.

What driver does it say is missing. With my Brother wireless connected printer, I had to use their application to scan. I could not use anything else.

What OS, Windows 7 or 8, 32 or 64 bit?

This is what the Users Guide says:

Scan from your computer
1. Open the HP Scan application. Click Start > Programs >HP > HP Deskjet 3050A J611 series >HP Scan

2. Select the type of scan that you want from the shortcut menu and then click Scan.

NOTE: If Show Scan Preview is selected, you will be able to make adjustments to the scanned image in the preview
screen.

3. Select Save if you want to keep the application open for another scan, or select Done to exit the application.

4. After the scan is saved, a Windows Explorer window will open in the directory where the scan was saved.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
I am using windows 7 premium home edition (64 bit)

attached (1)is a screenshot from when I went to hp file and tried to open scan, it tells me no printer was found.

attached (2)is a screenshot of what happens when I try to install using cd disc that came with printer.

I have tried using the hp scan/print doctor too, it just tells me driver is missing, I downloaded driver from hp website, but it never installs, it tells me there was an error with the installation. what am I missing here? this isn't my first rodeo

thanks for the helphp scan 1.PNG hp scan 2.PNG

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What about right clicking on the downloaded driver then select Run as Administrator?

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
I tried that also, still does not work. so if I can't reinstall with the disc that came with the printer, & I can't install the driver software from hp, where do I go from here? I also tried an elevated command prompt and ran sfc, came back no problems detected.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts
You can print to the printer OK? Under START > Control Panel > Devices and Printers what shows for this printer? Just once or multiple times? If you look under Explorer > Network does the printer show there?
Network_Explorer.PNG

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
devices 1.PNG yes, that is the strange part...the printer works, there is just no scan function

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Does the scanner work if you connect via USB? That's what I ended up doing with my Brother.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
no, I have all printer functions except scanner. I also tried reinstalling the printer via usb cable but have same outcome.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
All I can think of then is to try it on another computer. Maybe the problem is with the printer????

Advertisements

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
but then wouldn't the downloaded drivers from the hp website at least load onto my machine without stopping mid way and telling me there was a fatal error?

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

no, I have all printer functions except scanner. I also tried reinstalling the printer via usb cable but have same outcome.

Other than trying the printer attached to another system, I have some other questions for you. (Although, testing with another PC would eliminate a faulty printer.) Have you ever been able to scan to this laptop with any scanner? Can you send a fax from the laptop to the printer and have it transmit the fax? If you search in your Windows directory, do you see any files named twain or twunk? Can you list them please.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
I used to be able to scan to computer, but at a point some time ago, I kept getting a message balloon that popped up and said scan to computer is disabled, I didn't need to scan anything at that time so I thought nothing of it. where do I find twain or twunk?
thanks for your help

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts
If you have them, they should be in C:\Windows . It sounds like you do have them but it never hurts to ask and know. What security or firewall are you running on this system? HP did have some KB articles about one of the major AV software interfering with HP print/scan/fax software.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
ok, I found twain_32, I used to run Kaspersky but was having problems with it so I used the Kaspersky removal tool and got rid of it. I now run avast 2014 free version. as for firewall, whatever windows 7 home premium sp1 uses