Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building New PC - Will not start

• Please log in to reply

J_Carter

J_Carter

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello.

I am putting together a PC for a relative and have encountered a pretty big problem. Here is the build. Or, here is the actual web address if the link doesn't work: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2yEFP

After setting everything up, I plug the power cord in and the light on the motherboard glows green. When I press the power button, a few things happen: the power light turns on and the fans on the processor, graphics card, and power supply spin up. However, this lasts only for about a second before everything shuts down again. The two fans on the top and back of the case itself never start up.

This is the first PC that I have built entirely on my own (my current PC was built with a friend who knew more than me). And, I worry that I have done something stupid and ruined some expensive part.

Since I'm pretty sure I set up everything correctly, could one of the parts be faulty? I already tested the power supply by swapping it out with the one from my working PC, but there was no change; it still didn't fully start up. Could there be something wrong with the motherboard or case?

If pictures of any specific parts of the PC would be helpful in solving my problem, please let me know.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by J_Carter, 09 January 2014 - 07:57 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday J_Carter and Posted Image

It is unlikely you have damaged anything, You may have a cable in the wrong place, a cable not connected, a part not seeated enough, or a short.
You say two fans don't work, so for the moment completely disconnect them just for the moment.
Always turn off the PSU, unplug from the mains and take anti static measure by briefly touching a bare metal part of the case. Please check the following
The little red switch on the back of the PSU is set to the correct voltage.
The CPU fan plug is connected TO the CPU socket on the MB.
you have both the 24 pin and 8 pin main cables plugged into the MB.
The RAM is in the correct slots, refer MB manual, it is fully seated with the locking tabs at each end fully closed.
Same for the graphics card, with a PCI-e cable connected, (if required)
Double check the front panel power/reset/HDD plugs are correct.
TEST. If it fails to boot.

Turn of the PSU. bla bla
Disconnect and remove the video card.
Connect the monitor to the correct MB graphics port.
TEST.

If a fail, you may have a short. Please report back.

Please give the brand/model of the PSU you used to test the system.

J_Carter

J_Carter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey, iammykyl. Thanks for responding so quickly. I'm sorry that this response comes so much later; some work-related stuff caught up with me and I didn't have time to look at the computer again until now.

The PSU that I used to check if something was wrong with this new Thermaltake PSU was a Raidmax RX-850AE. Probably a bit of overkill, but it was the only other PSU I had on hand.

I went through all of the steps that you asked me to try and I found that I hadn't fully seated either the RAM or graphics card (Those locking tabs weren't fully pressed down). After fixing both, I unplugged the 2 case fans, shut the case, plugged it in, turned on the PSU, hit the switch....and I encountered the same error. The power light flashes, a few internal fans spin for a second, but nothing comes on.

So, I tried booting it up with the graphics card completely removed from the system, but it still won't boot.

After this, I checked again to see if anything else was wrong, but as far as I can tell, everything is in place. What do I do next?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Looked ovr your system again. Notes.
Your RAM has not actually been tested on that board, but it fairly typically for that spec, so probable not the issue.
The PSU is pretty low quality< (i would suggest getting something better) But the Raidmax should have been quite cab able of running the system.
One of the parts could be DOA.
There may be a short, could be a loose screw, bit of wire under the MB, or a Standoff in the wrong place. A bare bones set up is the way to isolate the problem.
Please do the following.
Always do this when working on the computer. Turn off the PSU, Check there are no lit LEDs on the MB, take anti static measures, even when just handling parts, by touching a bare metal part of the case,

Remove all cabling from the MB, except the CPU fan wire to the MB.
Remove the GPU.
have a clean piece of cardboard a little larger than the MB placed beside the case.
Unscrew the MB., lay on the cardboard.
Check the standoff on the MB mounting plate inside the case, they must match exactly the number and pattern of screw holes in the MB,

Please reply with finding.

J_Carter

J_Carter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello again.

The motherboard has 6 holes for screws and the case has 6 brass standoffs in the correct positions to fit the motherboard.

Bare bones setup next? Please tell me what I should do.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Thanks for the update. With the stand-offs correct we can rule out that as a short.

Q. When you installed the CPU cooler assemble, did you remove the protective plastic film from the heat-sink plate? Was there a thermal pad on the heat-sink plate? did you add any paste, (TIM)

1. Please refer P#6 MB Manual, there is a small diagram of how the locking pins are engaged.. Turn over the MB, check all 4 pins are the same length and engaged correctly. If not, stop and post.

2. With the MB on the cardboard. Connect the 24 pin and 8 pin power cables, > connect the monitor to the onboard Graphics socket. > Check again that the cooler fan plug is securely seated to the CPU fan header, Ref P#16, (top of board) > switch on the monitor, > switch on the PSU, (LED should light on the MB. > with a small bladed screwdriver, briefly short out the 2-pin PWR-SW, Ref, P#18. PSU fan and CPU cooler fan should start and keep going. If OK, leave running for 5 minutes then switch all off and report.

3. If fail, > switch all off, > disconnect monitor and PSU cables. > Perform the same test again using a known working PSU, > Report please.

J_Carter

J_Carter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yep, I am quite sure that I removed any and all plastic film from the CPU heatsink before installing it. And, yes, there was some thermal paste already on the plate when I took it out of the box. No, I did not add any additional paste.

I did as you said (placed the MB on the cardboard, checked the locking pins on the underside, plugged in monitor, PSU, etc.) and I was able to replicate the same problem that I've been encountering while the motherboard is inside the case. The light on the MB is green but when I press the power button (or short out the 2-pin PWR-SW) the CPU cooling fan and PSU fan spin up for only a second before shutting off again.

I repeated the process with my alternate working PSU to achieve the same results. No luck. I assume this rules out the case as the culprit?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Sorry to hear the issue is still present.
PSU off.
Remove all the RAM. > test.
If the PSU and CPU fans keep running, there could be a short in a slot, or damaged RAM, (not faulty) very unusual. Please post back.

If still fails to run. you could have, a DOA MB or CPU. Bent pin/s in the CPU socket.
Follow the MB manual instructions for removing the heatsink and CPU. Inspect for damage. You may need a strong light and possible a magnifying glass.

please report.

J_Carter

J_Carter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Removed RAM, no change; same problem.

Hey, guess what I found.
Posted Image

Some bent pins.

I am fairly certain that I did not do anything to bend them, and there does not appear to be any damage on the underside of the processor itself.

I am going to contact Newegg tomorrow and see about a replacement Motherboard. I'll make another post when (hopefully not "if") I get it working. Thanks for all of your help :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Very unfortunate. Damage like that does happen somewhere along the protection to consumer. Be prepared, you may have a bit of a fight on your hands. Many will try, "incorrect CPU installation" as the first reply. If having problems, A very, very negative user review on the Newegg site for the board, can elicit a resolution.

Please keep us informed. Before you start the rebuild, can give you a few tips.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Have you had any luck with your RMA?
Reccommend you get a mini internal diagnostic system speaker, e.g., for when you do the rebuild, > http://cwc-group.com/8ohm.html

J_Carter

J_Carter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, though the package has just arrived at their warehouse today. Supposing the only damages to the motherboard are the bent pins, I will get a replacement.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
That is great news.
Consider following this method. which is what I do for all builds, a bare bones with test and this is where the MB speaker is useful.
Working on the cardboard, > install the CPU, > cooler, > check the locking pins on back of board. > connect CPU fan, > connect 2 power cables//keyboard/mini speaker, > test. = fans spin, keyboard lights flash, speaker beeps, (varies with BIOS,1 long, 2 short, repeated?? = no ram detected.
switch off, > add RAM, > test, = beep code must change, = no HDD/display detected.
Switch off.
You can connect to the integrated graphics and test or add the video card and test. In both cases you should get something on the display. beep code should change again, may indicate, no HDD/no OS.
switch off.
I then remove the GPU, install the MB and continue with the build.
If you do have a hiccup, please post.

Good luck.