Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying fresh install of vista but system keeps rebooting.

• Please log in to reply

ijhobson

ijhobson

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I recently purchased a new motherboard and CPU for an old system i use to watch videos only.
Its a Intel 848P Neo2-V motherboard with P4 3GHZ prescott processor. Graphics card is AGP ATi 9250.
I still have the old hard drive from my old setup with all my media on it.
When i boot the system it comes up with the "there was a problem booting windows last time" screen and i get the option of starting normally/safe mode etc.
No matter what option i choose the system just restarts.
Now i know it's a new motherboard and processor so i inserted my Vista disc to do a fresh install, it comes up option to boot from DVD which i choose, it then brings up screen "windows is loading files" and a white bar fills across the bottom of the screen.
When this finishes the system reboots and the cycle starts over again. If i dont boot from dvd it goes to safe mode screen and if i boot from DVD the same proces above occurs.
I have done many fresh install of windows and am baffled as to what is going on?
Can anyone help?
cheers,
Ian

Edited by ijhobson, 10 January 2014 - 04:53 PM.

Advertisements

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
What PSU do you have hooked up? I've heard that high voltage PSUs can mess with old mobos, do you happen to have an older, lower voltage PSU laying around by any chance?
You could also try updating the BIOS, enabling UEFI boot and try it using just one stick of RAM. Good luck, and post back results! Posted Image

Edited by ZaRMan, 14 January 2014 - 07:05 AM.

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
This may also be related, but is much more of a hassle. If any of the previous suggestions didn't work, it may be used as a last resort. Do the symptoms on that page match what you've been experiencing?