Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Turbo Tax Install Error

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

You got the same error? The Windows Event Log doesn't show any new error now.

Advertisements

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Yes same error. Sorry for my slow response. Did not see we had moved to page 2. What should I do now? Thanks!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Yes same error. Sorry for my slow response. Did not see we had moved to page 2. What should I do now? Thanks!

Ok, Let's check the suggestion from the Microsoft article that we didn't apply completely...

• open My Computer
  • right click the C: drive and click Properties
  • Click on the tab Security do you see SYSTEM on the list of users on top box?
  • if SYSTEM is on the list, select it by left clicking on SYSTEM
  • above the box on bottom should say Permissions for SYSTEM
  • on the Allow column do you have all the check box's checked except Special Permissions?

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
When I open My Computer Right Click Drive C and click Properties I do not see a Security Tab. The Tabs are General Tools Hardware Sharing and Quota. I can't find Security under any of these. I did note that under Quota that my Disc Quotas are Disabled.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

When I open My Computer Right Click Drive C and click Properties I do not see a Security Tab. The Tabs are General Tools Hardware Sharing and Quota. I can't find Security under any of these. I did note that under Quota that my Disc Quotas are Disabled.

Sorry, I should have notice that you are running Windows XP Home Edition, the Home version doesn't have the Security tab.

We have to use a fixing tool...

Download Windows Repair (All-in-One) Portable
- extract the tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio.zip to c:\ the zip will extract to a folder called Tweaking.com - Windows Repair
- execute the file Repair_Windows.exe from the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair folder
- click on the tab Start Repairs, next click the Start button
- accept the prompt to create the Backup
- click the Start button again
- click the button Unselect All
- check the following box's:
  • 02 - Reset File Permissions
    • 02.01 - File Permissions C:\
  • 20 - Repair MSI (Windows Installer)
- check the box Restart/Shutdown System When Finished > Restart System
- click the Start button

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
I have downloaded and run Windows Repair do I "Fix Now" When you say "Extract" what does this mean and where is this file located?

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Oops I have Downloaded "Speedy Computer" instead of Windows Repair Portable. The Speedy Repair was at the top of the page. How do I correct?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I have downloaded and run Windows Repair do I "Fix Now" When you say "Extract" what does this mean and where is this file located?

The file is a ZIP file it have several other files inside compressed.

If you don't have a program to handle ZIP files installed you can use the built-in included on Windows XP check this tutorial
on the Select Destination Step type c:\
open the folder c:\fix\Tweaking.com - Windows Repair\ to locate the program Repair_Windows

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
I see two zip files. Both have windows repair folders identically named except one has a number 2 at the end and the other a number 3 Which do I choose?

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Got File running. I keep getting a Microsoft pop up to allow psexe.exe to run Do I need to accept this multiple times? Program has been running 10 minutes.

Advertisements

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
File run. Computer restarted. Should I try and load Turbo Tax now? Thanks!

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Tried to Install Turbo Tax got error message 1603 again. Should I have turned off my Anti-Virus when I ran the Repair_Windows.exe? Needless to say I'm whistling in the wind! :surrender: When I tried to download Turbo Tax I got the following message twice before the download would start "An event was unable to invoke any of the subscribers"

Edited by jbljohn, 13 January 2014 - 09:36 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Got File running. I keep getting a Microsoft pop up to allow psexe.exe to run Do I need to accept this multiple times? Program has been running 10 minutes.

Please suspend your Antivirus or any other program like Spybot because they could interfere with the fix because this tool will run several scripts.

Run the fix tool again with the same options and if you get prompted about psexec allow it to run.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Done! I am awaiting further instructions from you . Thanks :surrender:

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
After the fix please download .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool
- extract the file netfx_5F00_setupverifier_5F00_new.zip
- run the tool netfx_setupverifier.exe and accept the prompts
- from the drop-down combo select Net Framework version 4 Client
- click Verify now

Repeat the steps also for Net Framework version 4 Full or Extended

Let me know if it passes the verification.