Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Resume Loader

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Just finishing off a build I started awhile back and have a question about the first boot up attempt. This PC build got stalled because of a bad motherboard (Intel DZ68BC), so I bought a new motherboard, an ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer and upgraded to a new CPU, Intel i5-4670 Haswell (4th gen). Got everything connected and booted up the PC for the first time and this message popped up:

Posted Image

Actually, this message appeared on the 2nd boot up attempt. The first boot up attempt had a similar message that popped up, but it was much longer. I was unable to get a pic of that message and rather than allow the PC to continue booting up on it's own, I reset it so I could take the pic of the message.
Anyway, when I previously had this PC up and running before the mobo went bad, I installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on the HDD. The HDD still has the OS installed and I'm wondering if this message is the result of that, or if the PC with the new mobo and CPU is trying to sync up <- probably the wrong term, or figure itself out. I don't want to make the wrong selection from the message that popped up for fear of screwing something up.
Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I think what's happened is the system hibernated rather than being completely shut down before you pulled it apart. I would just choose the option that is highlighted.

If it's no go you may need to repair or reinstall the Windows OS.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I think what's happened is the system hibernated rather than being completely shut down before you pulled it apart. I would just choose the option that is highlighted.

If it's no go you may need to repair or reinstall the Windows OS.

Did as you directed and it booted right into the OS. So far, so good. One question for you though, this PC I'm finishing up is one of two builds I've done recently. In fact, the only two builds I've ever done. For the most part, both PC builds are the same. This particular one started out as an upgrade, but with the demise of the mobo I opted to copy the other build I had already completed. That build has been without incident and runs perfectly. So, PC build A (the successful build) boots right up when I press the power button. What I mean by that is, as soon as I press the power button the fans start spinning and mobo lights come on. With PC build B (the one I'm trying to finish), when I push the power button it takes as long as five seconds or so for the fans and lights to come on.
The only difference between the two builds is the PSU and RAM. Now, with PC Build B when I did have it up and running with the previous mobo and CPU, I'd hit the power button and it would start right up. So the five second delay that's occurring now is a new issue.
Any idea why that would be happening?

As an FYI, on PC build B, when I was having all the issues with the previous mobo, I went through various troubleshooting steps to determine it was actually the mobo that was the problem. One of the recommendations from GTG was to disconnect the power button and reset button on the front panel, in essence bypass them by using a screw driver to short the system panel header so the PC would come on. I did this twice. That was a few weeks ago. Since then, I had not reconnected the power and reset button on the front panel until today. With the five second delay I'm getting on power up, is it possible that I may have reversed the connections? In other words, connected the reset to the power button and connected the power to the reset button. If I did this, then when I pressed the power on button I would've actually been pressing the reset button. That may not be the reason for the power up delay, but thought I would mention it just in case.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Got it figured out, everything is running smooth now. Thanks!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Would you mind posting what resolved the start up delay issue?

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Would you mind posting what resolved the start up delay issue?

Really? You're going to make me embarrass myself here? :bashhead:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Not if you don't want... but I've seen this happen from time to time on my workbench. Some PCs start quick and others don't, but they're identical builds. If it's something simple I'm doing wrong, it'd help me. PM me if you like.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Not if you don't want... but I've seen this happen from time to time on my workbench. Some PCs start quick and others don't, but they're identical builds. If it's something simple I'm doing wrong, it'd help me. PM me if you like.

PM sent. You'll see why :rolleyes: