Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Causes Wireless Router To Restart

• Please log in to reply

TheBowman

TheBowman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
We have had this Lenovo G550 laptop for several years now, and years ago it started causing problems with our wireless internet. For whatever reason, when, and only when this laptop is turned on, our wireless router will restart every 20 minutes or so, and we will temporarily lose internet connection. None of our other computers cause this to happen, so I don't know how it could be a problem with the router.

The router is a Westell 7500, and our internet service provider is CenturyLink. I've looked at several threads and couldn't find any solution to my problem.

Advertisements

AdvHomeServer

AdvHomeServer

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have never heard of Westell so I Googled the router and found the pdf operations manual. It's a full functioned router that had more features than most retail routers. Actually, it looked rather impressive. So far, so good. If it otherwise works good, I would assume it's a configuration issue rather than an equipment issue.

I'm only spitballing here, but did you try a router reset by pressing the little button that's usually on the back of the router and reconfiguring it from scratch? I would only try that if you felt confident on the reloading of all parameters and if you were sure you wouldn't create a bigger problem.

It might be a plug and play problem. See if your router supports it and turn it off. Take a look at the ipv4 properties on windows and make sure it looks normal, such as allowing the router to set the ip address and dns server.

Basically, it sounds like your laptop really wants to configure the router and the router won't have anything to do with it.