Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEED HELP INSTALLING WIN 98

• Please log in to reply

jimbobhoward

jimbobhoward

• Pip
  • 3 posts
[FONT=Arial
i have an old laptop and the hdd crashed. so far i have it working on the network (through dos). i have a network drive setup and accessable. i was wondering if anyone could help me install win98 to this drive. it says that it cant write files to this drive but i can make files from the command line.(ps i am booting with a floppy)

Edited by jimbobhoward, 08 June 2005 - 10:53 PM.

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz:

Re-Install Windows Win 98

Install Win 98

jimbobhoward

jimbobhoward

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hey... i know how too install win98 i have been doing it since it came out. the thing is that there is NO HARD DRIVE!!!!!....... C-Drive is a network drive!!!! and it says "if you have ntfs or hpfs installed on your hdd please remove it" but....... if i run setup like this --->"setup /t:c:\temp" it seems to install the temp file no problem but it won't copy windows to the drive

Edited by jimbobhoward, 09 June 2005 - 11:41 AM.

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

[FONT=Arial
i have an old laptop and the hdd crashed. so far i have it working on the network (through dos). i have a network drive setup and accessable. i was wondering if anyone could help me install win98 to this drive. it says that it cant write files to this drive but i can make files from the command line.(ps i am booting with a floppy)

View Post

I apologize for the misinterpretations. Did you have recently any OS besides Win 98, did you recently installed Win XP? The NTFS file format is a partition intended for the Win XP formats. Win 98 needs a FAT32 file format partition in order for it to be installed succesfully. Review this LINKS for additional infos. Read more on articles with regards to partitioning/formatting.