Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hp pavilion g7 black screen

• Please log in to reply

curtis0922

curtis0922

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I acquired a computer from my work that they said doesn't work, it is a hp pavilion G7 1158 running windows 7 with 2gb of ram. The issue I am having is that the computer turns on but the screen stays black, I have tried ram from a different computer, a good hard drive , hard reset, checking the screen with a flashlight (no dull picture or anything) and also connecting it to my tv with the hdmi out and rgb line. I am completely confused to what it could be. Also the fan does come on when turning on but then shuts it's self off due to not being on for a few days, any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Advertisements

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Are you sure the RAM you tried is compatible to the laptop? When you power up, do any lights come on? If so are the flashing, solid, and what color are they? If I understand correctly, it appears the computer does boot up but just no display?

curtis0922

curtis0922

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Correct the computer boots up the wifi light comes on and stays orange the power light on the button is a white color and the charger light is the same white the ram that I used I will have to double check but the original ram in the computer is a 2gb 1rx8 pc3 adata stick

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Please try this. Hook it back up to you TV then hit Fn button and F4. If this doesn't work try Fn and F5. This should switch the laptop to external monitor mode. If neither work, I'd say you have a bad graphic card.

curtis0922

curtis0922

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay I will try that and report back but it doesn't sound like a bad mother board? That's my main concern lol

curtis0922

curtis0922

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay tried hooking it up to my tv with an hdmi cable and a rgb connection and with both tried the FN f4 and F5 and nothing changed

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Most likely then you need a new screen.

Edited by KingdomSeeker, 19 January 2014 - 01:45 PM.

curtis0922

curtis0922

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay so would it be the graphics card or the minister itself?

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Please try this. Turn computer off, unplug and remove the battery, hold the power button for 30 to 60 seconds, plug in and try to power on. If it powers up without the battery it could be a dead battery.

Edited by KingdomSeeker, 19 January 2014 - 03:21 PM.

curtis0922

curtis0922

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay so I took the battery out and unplugged the unit held the power button for 60 seconds plugged the power back in with the battery out of the laptop still and the unit powers up fan kicks on but still a black screen

Advertisements

curtis0922

curtis0922

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
And by the looks of things the video/graphics card is on board and cannot be upgraded if that is the case what should I do?

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
If that didn't work I am sure you need a new screen. I'm pretty sure the graphic card is ok. I'm also sure the motherboard is ok. Screens for your model start at around $70 on Amazon.

curtis0922

curtis0922

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay is there any way to possibly test the screen?

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Other than hooking it up to an external monitor and making sure the button by the hinges isn't stuck down,(the button that turns it off when you close the lid) you can take it to a repair shop that has a tester.

curtis0922

curtis0922

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
But when I do hook it up to an external monitor nothing comes up on the external monitor