Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2008 system upgrade

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

I'm working on going through my programs and looking up how to save progress,

Do not save programs from the old installation, newer versions may have more features/bug fixes. Download the latest versions to your new installation. For every program installed, look in preferences/options/help, so you can control how the programs behaves, i.e. Virus protections, start with windows, check for updates. i.e. Microsoft Office or Openoffice Org, do not start with windows, do not automatically search for updates.
Please watch this video, Julieanne is a bit unorganized, see what you think, > http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-evangelists-julieanne-kost/how-to-migrate-lr-to-another-computer/

Advertisements

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks again for all your help!!

Do not save programs from the old installation, newer versions may have more features/bug fixes.

I definitely wasn't going to just transfer whole programs, but for instance, I don't want to lose all the tags I've put on photos through Picasa. I would like to keep some of my saved games, I want to keep my itunes library, etc.

I'm finding lots of info though so we're good. That video link for Lightroom is really good. Nice to have info from the actual company as opposed to a blog entry (like I had before!).

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hey guys-

Should I download all drivers from their most updated state online or use the drivers that come on the disks? I'm thinking download most recent?

Also, will I want to try to update the motherboard bios at all?

Edited by Crunchy409, 28 February 2014 - 03:33 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Use the MB disk first, this will ensure they are loaded in the correct order and non get missed. Have your system up and running with the bare amount of software installed, default firewall, browser and Aniti Virus of your choice. then, use whatever the update tools that come with the MB to update drivers and utilities.

BIOS. Only update if really required, look at the version you have, look at the available updates to see if there are bug fixes or enhancements you need.

Have you decided on the MB yet?

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi there-

I am almost completely decided on a motherboard. I think I'm going with the Asus Z87-A. I was too slow to pick up the NFC Express edition for the good discount the other day. The plain board is $130 at the moment and I may grab it. Any last considerations?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Yep, specials are easy to miss, so you have to take the plunge when available.
> http://www.newegg.co...-_-na-_-na-_-na
Download the user maual from Asus.
Recommend you get one of these, e,g, > http://cwc-group.com/8ohm.html
Please post all your hardware components as a final check, will then see if there is anything else regarding info.

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Went to make the final purchase tonight on Newegg and just couldn't quite get myself to do it. The reviews on that Asus scared me a bit. Will look at the Gigabyte again in the morning.

thoughts?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Big manufacturers of all hardware sell thousands of any given product. When looking at user reviews problems are often caused by the user. I take note, say on a MB, where you get consistent complaints, i.e. DOA, RAM/PCI-E slots not working, persistent sound issues, etc. Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte and MSI all perform about the same, difference is usually in the added features you need/want..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Reviews for the same board here

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Alright, after a bunch more looking I AM DECIDED ON GIGABYTE. Like, for sure. LOL. I have been really happy with my previous Gigbayte- still going strong after 6 years- so I will stick with them.

I think I'll be putting in an order for the Z87x-D3h from amazon for $126.

Getting ready to rock and roll!

Edited by Crunchy409, 02 March 2014 - 01:37 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK. Download the user manual so you can browse it. Please post your complete list of parts for the final check, include any reused parts.
Geeks-to-Go > How To Build Your Own Computer

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I had definitely checked out that Geeks-to-go post already, and in fact I am actually currently going through the manual!

I was looking at BIOS versions, and the most recent, F8, is described as: "Support New 4th Generation Intel Core Processors." Does that mean that I should be sure that I am using version F8 before trying to install SDD & Windows?

COMPLETE PARTS LIST:
Case: Antec Sonata III w/ included 500W PSU
*CPU: i5-4670k
*Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H
*RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws X Series 8 GB (2 X 4GB) DDR3 1600
GPU: Asus Radeon 3870 (512MB)
*SDD: Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB
HDD: 2 X 1 terabyte Western Digital; 1 Seagate Barracuda 500 GB
external HDD: Wester Digital 500 GB

*indicates upgraded components

Edited by Crunchy409, 05 March 2014 - 05:24 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Looks good.
The MB already supports 4th generation CPUs, so no worries, no need to upgrade the BIOS, possible need to upgrade utilities/drivers if new versions have been released.
What happened to the 500GB HDD? sure I saw it mentioned somewhere in the topic.

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks for reminding me to list ALL of my HDDs! I edited them in above. The smaller one hasn't been part of the system for awhile, but I do have it!

I will check on the utility/driver updates on the Gigabyte website.

Motherboard should be here Wednesday and I plan on testing some things out Wednesday night!

For the SDD, I'm thinking: OS, Lightroom, Lightroom Catalog/Cache, Mozilla, Chrome, and Microsoft office. Maybe Quicken. Thoughts?

Also, I am assuming that I will need to create an alternate "my documents" on the HDD for programs to point their default save to?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

For the SDD, I'm thinking: OS, Lightroom, Lightroom Catalog/Cache, Mozilla, Chrome, and Microsoft office. Maybe Quicken. Thoughts?

ssd. Check the website for your model to see if the updated Samsung Magician utility that comes bundled with the 840 EVOs. The latest version offers RAPID support, (research)
Office and Quicken go on a HDD in the Programs folder< (set in options, not to start with windows,)

Why two Browsers?

I will need to create an alternate "my documents"

Yes.
This is one method and I would always have only one partition on any drive, except a backup drive i.e. 1, Data backup partition and 2, Drive images.
> http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ssd-plus-hard-drive-equals-storage-heaven/#!ydveC