Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disconnecting from the Internet

• Please log in to reply

Syncline

Syncline

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, I have a custom desktop computer running Windows 7 64 and is wired into my router. My other computer also wired into the router has no problems with the internet, so problems with the router or internet service have been ruled out.

My computer randomly started disconnecting from the internet every 10 minutes or so. I have updated all important updates to Windows, updated every driver I could, scanned for viruses and spyware (Microsoft Security Essentials, up to date), and even tried using my wireless adapter (in several USB ports) only to still have this problem.

Does anyone have a solution? Please? This is obnoxious and I can't work.

Advertisements

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Okay, I have a custom desktop computer running Windows 7 64 and is wired into my router. My other computer also wired into the router has no problems with the internet, so problems with the router or internet service have been ruled out.

My computer randomly started disconnecting from the internet every 10 minutes or so. I have updated all important updates to Windows, updated every driver I could, scanned for viruses and spyware (Microsoft Security Essentials, up to date), and even tried using my wireless adapter (in several USB ports) only to still have this problem.

Does anyone have a solution? Please? This is obnoxious and I can't work.

Just for clarification, When it disconnects from the internet does it reconnect itself or do you have to take action? When you updated drivers did you do it through Windows Update or from the manufacturer?
Please try doing a DNS Flush and see if that solves your problem.

Click the Start button.
Enter cmd in the Start menu search field.
Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
Type the following command and press Enter: ipconfig /flushdns
If the command was successful, you will see the following message:

Windows IP configuration successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

Syncline

Syncline

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Every time it disconnects, I have to shut down my computer, wait at least 2 minutes, then turn it back on. Doing a restart from the Start Menu doesn't work and my computer actually doesn't restart that way.

I updated what I could from the Windows Update, and then manually searched the manufacturers websites for drivers to double check and updated what didn't through the Windows Update.

I will do the DNS Flush now and report back with if my computer disconnects again.

Syncline

Syncline

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Still disconnected after a DNS Flush. Also, it seems to disconnect faster the more I use the computer (ie. The first time I turn it on I will have internet for 10 minutes. After the third restart I get disconnected after about 5 minutes.)

UPDATE:
I've discovered that I can reconnect the internet if I go into the Device Manager, disable and then reenable the Network Card. However, I still get disconnected after a short amount of time and have to repeat this process.

Edited by Syncline, 24 January 2014 - 03:07 PM.

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
I will allow someone with more experience try to help you. The issue is probably with TCP/IP or your ethernet card.