Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's the difference between WMI & DMI software releases?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I'm trying to flash the bios on my vintage motherboard. You can do so through Windows XP I believe using the following software:

1) BIOS

2) WMI Release of HP TopTools (which will flash the bios)

3) DMI Release of HP TopTools (of the same software above)

What the heck is the difference between software links #2 & #3? I don't understand, and have Googled to check what differences there are between WMI vs DMI releases are to no avail.

Thanks, and as mentioned my vintage pc has Win XP on it. Supposedly as per what the first link says you can use that bios file with HP TopTools to flash the bios without having to use a floppy or cdrom (if I understand it correctly).

Edited by superstar, 23 January 2014 - 09:23 PM.

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Ahhh I'm noticing the WMI version says it's for "Windows XP" and the DMI seems to be for legacy operating systems such as Win 98 & Win NT.
Maybe that's it!