Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

fast xp load but slow icon/start button load

• Please log in to reply

pheeseez

pheeseez

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys,

I think my computer is pretty clean, i run spy-ware removal programs often and have solid virus protection, but I can't seem to figure this one problem out. My windows XP loads quick, but during the process where the desktop background appears before the desktop icons and start menu/taskbar appear, the system takes a very long time to load. The exact order goes like this: Windows XP loads -> desktop background appears -> start up sound plays -> loads for a long time (about 5 minutes) -> desktop icons/start menu/taskbar/start up programs load. During the long load time, there are no programs being loaded (at least no splash screens to indicate any loading) and the hard drive is not running.Please let me know if you need any information about my system and how I can post them up. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

PheeSeeZ

Advertisements

NotalesS

NotalesS

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I might be the progreams that run in the background when u start up

Start->Run...>Type in "msconfig" without quotes and look at the start up and services, you don't need anything in the startup side. Well not that i liek anything to start up.

pheeseez

pheeseez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hmmm, I tried unchecking a lot of things on the startup using msconfig, but it didn't seem to solve the problem. No programs seem to be loading during the idle loading stage, and after the idle loading stage is over then all the start up programs begin to load all at once. Anyone have any other suggestions on how i can remove the idle loading stage during startup?