Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Got a new hard drive and cables dont match.

• Please log in to reply

psycho-active

psycho-active

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

I currently just purchased a new hard drive to be used as a slave since I am almost out of space.

The hard drive i purchased is:Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

I tried to install it into my slave HD place in my computer and the plugs for the power supply and mobo do not seem to match.

My motherboard is:K7T266 Pro2.

What should I do? Did I not purchase the right configuaration hard drive, and if so what configuration should my new drive be? Please help a noob at installing parts.

Edited by psycho-active, 09 June 2005 - 12:18 AM.

Advertisements

gibbocool

gibbocool

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, You have bought a Serial ATA hard drive. This hard drive uses a different method of connection to the mother board - it is not IDE. Your mother board does not have any SATA connectors by the looks of it

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
gibbocool is correct, thats a SATA drive, and your board doesnt have any sata ports.
best bet is to return that drive, and get an IDE hard drive. specifically you want a UMDA 100 or 133 drive.

psycho-active

psycho-active

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi, You have bought a Serial ATA hard drive. This hard drive uses a different method of connection to the mother board - it is not IDE. Your mother board does not have any SATA connectors by the looks of it

View Post

Thank you very much for teh quik response. So, do I just simply order an IDE labled hard drive? :tazz: ;)

psycho-active

psycho-active

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

View Post

gibbocool is correct, thats a SATA drive, and your board doesnt have any sata ports.
best bet is to return that drive, and get an IDE hard drive. specifically you want a UMDA 100 or 133 drive.

thank you very much.

Edited by psycho-active, 09 June 2005 - 12:56 AM.

psycho-active

psycho-active

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

specifically you want a UMDA 100 or 133 drive.

View Post

does that mean IDE Ultra ATA100 and IDE Ultra ATA133?

gibbocool

gibbocool

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Just get an IDE drive :tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
if your current drive is 133, get another 133. if its a 100, go with that. it fine either way, the reason I bring the speed up is, if one drive is 133, and the other 100, they will both slow down to the slower speed.
if you get a 133, you wont go wrong.

psycho-active

psycho-active

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

if your current drive is 133, get another 133.  if its a 100, go with that.  it fine either way, the reason I bring the speed up is, if one drive is 133, and the other 100, they will both slow down to the slower speed.
if you get a 133, you wont go wrong.

View Post

thank you very much.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
your welcome!
happy to help out

Astrotrain

Astrotrain

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Just put the hdisk back in the box, and return it to the store for a IDE or EIDE
hdisk.