Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Boot loop, boot failure after f8 screen. Please help.

• Please log in to reply

flecdorbee

flecdorbee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey y'all, I've got a bit of a problem. I recently acquired a few faulty custom builds from a friend who had given up on fixing them. One was an Emachine in which the HDD was shot, and the others had various other problems. I got the Emachine up and running with a new HDD and everything was going fine, until I attempted to reseat the setup into a different shell (LEDs, crazy powerful fans, external temperature gauge, the works). When I realized that the Mobo couldn't support the components needed to run the shell, I put the entire thing back into the original casing, and replaced the stock PSU with an upgraded one.

Now, when I try to boot up, the Mobo POSTs, and the keyboard(USB) input is recognized, until I get to the "f8" screen. You know the one. When I get to this screen, I cannot use the keyboard. The only way I can use the keyboard on this screen is when I unplug it prior to powering on, then plugging it in when prompted by the BIOS. When I try to enter safe mode (Regular, networking, and com prompt), the boot gets stuck trying to load the file just after Mup.sys. The file attempting to be loaded is the file corresponding to keyboards and mouses. When I attempt to load Windows normally (This happens with "Last known good config." as well), I get a BSoD (Which I was only able to detect after disabling auto-restart on boot failure, otherwise it just loops forever.) I have reset the CMOS, left alone overnight, and reseated every component. I'm one more failed boot away from feeding it chicken soup. Any light on this would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the STOP code from the BSoD: STOP: 0x0000007b (0xf79e0528, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements