I can't seem to attach otl folder due to exceeding file 5MB limit.
OK, please upload it here and tell me the download link
Other than that, I think you are good to go If see any other bad shortcuts in any of your external drives you can safely delete them, or if they are too much, tell me to manually delete all the shortcuts of that drive. Note that using this way, all the shortcuts on that drive will be deleted, good or bad
Happy to hear that you're clean finally
Congratulations! Your logs are clean! Now that you are clean, please follow these precautions in order to keep safe:
Over the course of the fix you've used a variety of special tools to help with the cleaning process - none of these are of any use to you now that you're clean, and it's best not to have them hanging around on your computer.
- Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following
- Then click the Run Fix button at the top
- Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
- Open OTL for the last time and hit the cleanup button. It will remove all the programs we have used plus itself.
Automatic Updates for Windows
- Click Start.
- Select Settings and then Control Panel.
- Select Automatic Updates.
- Click Automatic (recommended)
- Choose a day and a time when you know the computer will be on and connected to the internet.
- Click Apply then OK.
- Go here and click Do I have Java
- It will check your current version and then offer to update to the latest version, if there are any.
To check for updates to Adobe Reader:
Close all programs and windows.
Open Adobe Reader (click on "Start". Click on "Programs". Click on "Adobe Reader"). When Adobe Reader is loaded, click on "Help". Click on "Check for updates now" (or "Updates").
You will see available updates in the left window. Select all updates or critical items in the left window and click the "Add" icon between the windows. When you have selected all the necessary updates, click on the "Update" icon at the bottom. The system will start processing the update. If there are more that 2 or more updates, you will probably have to reboot between updates.
When done, close all windows.
Additional security programs - For additional security, the use of these tools is important:
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. - Update the free version and scan with it often. It is an excellent scanning tool to have on your side.
- The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer. This little program packs a powerful punch as it block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers. For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial
Note: If you are using Firefox I would suggest the use of these add-ons:
- NoScript - for blocking ads and other potential website attacks.
- McAfee SiteAdvisor - this tells you whether the sites you are about to visit are safe or not. A must if you do a lot of Googling.
Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Keep a backup of your important files to prevent future data loss.
Happy safe computing !!