Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File conversion questions - urgent help required

• Please log in to reply

imaslowlearner

imaslowlearner

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everybody.

I am new to this community and have a problem.

This is what happened:-

1) I sent an e-mail from home to work with a word attachment containing notes for a meeting.

2) I opened the attachment at work and saved it to my own folder in my individual drive.

3) At the same time (and possibly with the e-mail still open) I created a new e-mail and pasted some productivity figures from an excel file in to the new
e-mail.

4) I sent the e-mail showing the productivity figures to my team and four managers which I do on a daily basis.

5) A manager asks to speak to me about the attachment to the e-mail I sent showing the productivity figures and why I did it. I explain I have no idea how it happened and that is was a mistake.

6) After looking at the e-mail in my sent items I see that the file type has changed from a 2003 word document (.doc) to some kind of message format.
There are two of these messages attached and not just one word document format which is the one I created at home.

So my questions for you are:-

How did the file get converted from word to message? Did the software used by my employer do this when I saved it to my own drive?

and

How did these new formatted documents get attached to the new e-mail I created?

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

Edited by imaslowlearner, 31 January 2014 - 06:31 AM.

Advertisements