Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Asus router not giving the speed it should

• Please log in to reply

Destiny000

Destiny000

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I am with xplornet for internet, when I'm plugged into the modem I get great speeds, when I'm plugged into the router (Asus RT-N12 wireless N Router) I get chopped! I am not at all sure how to fix this, it is a gigabit router and asus just told me I just can't be seeing things right . . . . So if anyone could help me that would be fantastic! Thank you! And I am plugged in directly I have disscounted wireless.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Destiny000,

Can you please specify to me how you are measuring your speeds exactly?
And can you please let me know what speed you are paying for, what you are getting on the modem, and what you are getting on the router?

Regards,
Olrik

Destiny000

Destiny000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I have up to 5mb/s with my internet provider. I don't have a proper measuring device I'm using to know for sure, however I have noticed my downloads are so slow it ticks me off. And the other odd thing I noted is when I go to the lcoal area connection status, when I'm plugged directly into the modem it shows under speed: as 1gb. When I'm plugged into the router it shows as 100mbps. I honestly don't know the real meaning behind it, but I do know I get faster download speeds in town where they have around the same speed. Thanks for your reply. :)

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hey Destiny!

I am so sorry, Your reply must've slipped past my eyes in my email box :blush: :blush: Thanks for your PM! This is exactly why I have that in my signature :thumbsup:

Right, here goes!

First of all, let me clarify a few things of the 'internet world' that are important to know when you are talking about performance issues. The first is that there are 2 types of 'notations' that can be used when we are talking about file-sizes. Bits and Bytes. You need 8 bits to make 1 byte, and usually when we are talking about files on your PC, you're talking about MegaBytes, this can be written as MB (note the capital B).

However, when we are talking about speed (or throughput in Networking terms) we talk in bits! And so service providers always advertise it as 5Mb (note the lower case b). So you can imagine that this might cause quite some confusion sometimes. And if you have a file of 1 Megabyte, and you have a speed of 1 Megabit/s it will take a whole 8 seconds before your file is transferred and not 1 second! So keep in mind that you really have to know if you are talking about bits or bytes when you are having performance issues. Because when you measure speeds, you want to know if you are measuring :surrender:

(I hope this all still makes sense? :thumbsup: Feel free to ask if you need clarification!)

Ok, now we have that out of the way I will address the rest of your post!

I don't have a proper measuring device I'm using to know for sure

I usually use www.speedtest.net. Again, watch out for bits or bytes :thumbsup:

Here are the results of my speedtest, for example; http://www.speedtest...sult/3305172598

And the other odd thing I noted is when I go to the lcoal area connection status, when I'm plugged directly into the modem it shows under speed: as 1gb. When I'm plugged into the router it shows as 100mbps.

Right, another bit of networking stuff here. Since 1995, networks got introduced to something we call Fast Ethernet. Fast Ethernet can get up to speeds of 100Mbps (bits ;)). However, since applications are getting heavier and heavier and technology keeps improving, as of the year 2000 Gigabit Ethernet got introduced. The word Gigabit kind of says it already, it can reach speeds up to 1000Mbps or 1Gbps.

Now, envision your network as a factory with multiple assembly lines. Each line has their own speed, but the slowest line will determine how fast your factory will assemble parts. Your network is pretty much the same. Imagine that (for the sake of keeping things simple) the Internet has no limit to it's speed, compare the Internet with the customer of your factory, and your customer always wants more products.

The assembly line from your computer to your router produces up to 100 parts (megabits) per second. Then your router needs to send those parts over the line to the modem. It will also do this at 100 parts per second. But now we have a very slow assembly line that can only handle 5 parts per second! (your connection to your ISP) So you can imagine that your bottleneck is at your line out to the internet. (But don't worry, everyone that doesn't own a fiber connection at home will have that problem)

Now, you can remove your router and plug your PC directly into the modem. Now the assembly line from your computer to your modem can produce a whopping 1000 parts per second! However, when all those parts reach the line to the ISP it can still only handle 5 parts per second. So the bottleneck is still at the exact same spot. So in theory the router will not slow down your network :thumbsup:

but I do know I get faster download speeds in town where they have around the same speed.

Can you clarify this in more detail? Are you doing a download at a friends house at that point? (tip: Try doing a speedtest there, and at home!)

I hope this helps? :unsure:

Regards,
Olrik

Destiny000

Destiny000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Makes sense. I did a speed test here: http://www.speedtest...sult/3306123668
My speeds are pathetic. I also frequently can't access certain webpages either, they could even be about herbs, which means it doesn't seem like specific types of webpages, doesn't matter if I use a different browser and all other computers in the house react to that webpage the same way, basically it says it cannot connect, but if i tried lets say on a library connection in town which was the connection i was referring too earlier i can access the webpage.

Any help you can give? I'm willing to get technical, I can follow directions for things pretty easy.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hey Destiny,

Can you maybe link me to your ISP's page for your Internet plan?

Also, the delay that is on your connection is MASSIVE. That is almost a full second delay on your connection. Do you know how to perform commands via a command line? Can you perform a traceroute to the IP address 8.8.8.8?

Regards,
Olrik

Destiny000

Destiny000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
For connecting you to my ISP's page for my Internet plan, how do I go about this or do you have a page that will tell me how? I've used the command thing before, but could you walk me through the steps to perform a traceroute. Just type in the steps for me and then I'll post you what I have. Thanks!

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hey Destiny,

I am so very sorry. Things got in the way and I was not able to respond in a decent timeframe.

Here are the steps that I require :)

Go to "Start" and type "cmd"
There will appear one program called "cmd.exe"
Right click this and select "Run as Administrator"
Then in the black command box type "tracert 8.8.8.8" without the quotes of course ;)

Regards,
Olrik

Destiny000

Destiny000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
No problem thanks for replying.

Here are the results:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>tracert 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 638 ms 642 ms 638 ms 10.82.100.5
4 645 ms 650 ms 669 ms 192.168.65.9
5 636 ms 640 ms 637 ms 74.127.230.0
6 713 ms 716 ms 719 ms xplr-74-127-230-20.xplornet.com [74.127.230.20]

7 702 ms 718 ms 720 ms gw-google.torontointernetxchange.net [206.108.34
.6]
8 696 ms 720 ms 720 ms 209.85.255.232
9 696 ms 717 ms 721 ms 216.239.46.162
10 690 ms 678 ms 678 ms 72.14.232.141
11 750 ms 720 ms 720 ms 216.239.46.191
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 709 ms 730 ms 720 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Wow! that is a very high increase in delay after your router. I suggest you contact your ISP about this. It looks like there might be something wrong with your connection (from an ISP point of view).

Please let me know the results of your communication with your ISP :)

Regards,
Olrik

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

It would be interesting to see a speed test done connected to the router and to the modem to show the difference if any...