Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

duplicates

• Please log in to reply

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
On my HP laptop I have many duplicates copied. There are on local disk (C:) Some are Bing Bar and I don't even use that. In fact it is on there a lot. All these duplicates are taking a lot of run from my C drive. Question is: Can I delete one of them without hurting the computer for I will leave the other one that is just like it on there?

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Can you give more name exemples of the duplicated files (a screenshot would be great too) ?
Also for the Bing Bar, you can uninstall it via the Programs Control Panel and then you could delete the folder after.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I will try to do that. Otherwise, I shall copy them and send you a few that are on the page. They are all duplicates and some have 3 the very same thing. Thank you. Will do What I can.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I will try to do that. Otherwise, I shall copy them and send you a few that are on the page. They are all duplicates and some have 3 the very same thing. Thank you. Will do What I can.

All good. Also, maybe some of the folders that have been created on your C: are related to useless programs (Junkwares, PUPs), and you could delete these programs on your system and delete these folders after. Try to check in your Programs Control Panel what needs to be uninstalled. If you're not sure about the program, do a quick Google search on it to see if it's legit or not. Also, if you have a lot of folders with random alphanumerical names, these are folders that were created by Windows Updates that didn't went through if I remember correctly.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I was unable to do as you asked. My computer seems to not want to go to duplicates now but I do have two of the files copied. The 1st is 17386.Png C/Program Files (86) Hewlett-Packard/HP support Frame/work Resou...3.85KB 2013/3/5 13:2:40 This is on there twice the exact same thing.

8state-transbar.png.C:/Program Files (86)/Roxio shared/12.01Common Res...10005B....209/7/2403:21.00

This is also on there twice exactly the same in both of them. We are getting terrible weather here so if you post and don't hear from me it is because I cannot get back on. Thank you for your help.

c

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I was unable to do as you asked. My computer seems to not want to go to duplicates now but I do have two of the files copied. The 1st is 17386.Png C/Program Files (86) Hewlett-Packard/HP support Frame/work Resou...3.85KB 2013/3/5 13:2:40 This is on there twice the exact same thing.

8state-transbar.png.C:/Program Files (86)/Roxio shared/12.01Common Res...10005B....209/7/2403:21.00

This is also on there twice exactly the same in both of them. We are getting terrible weather here so if you post and don't hear from me it is because I cannot get back on. Thank you for your help.

Quick question that might sound stupid but, do you have "Hide known file extensions" checked in your Folder options ? If so, uncheck it and check if the files are really the same. It's impossible for two files to have EXACTLY the same name except if they have a different extension. Maybe the file one is File.png and the second File.exe.png but you see it as a .png.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Hi, I was able to check out what you asked and I found both the top and second to be duplicates in every way. I could find no difference at all. I also checked my installed programs and there is none there that should not be. This really would not be a problem but I do believe it is taking too much room and my C drive has more on it than I desire as I need to download another card shop on there and don't want to cause the laptop to go snail pace. According to the duplicates page there are over 450 duplicates there. I have tried to find a difference in many of them and can not find one. I have no idea what causes this to happen.. I do know you can buy materials that will take care of duplicates and I may have to do that. Have a great night. Hope you don't get what we have. 10 more inches of snow coming tonight plus wind. Thank you.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Hi, I was able to check out what you asked and I found both the top and second to be duplicates in every way. I could find no difference at all. I also checked my installed programs and there is none there that should not be. This really would not be a problem but I do believe it is taking too much room and my C drive has more on it than I desire as I need to download another card shop on there and don't want to cause the laptop to go snail pace. According to the duplicates page there are over 450 duplicates there. I have tried to find a difference in many of them and can not find one. I have no idea what causes this to happen.. I do know you can buy materials that will take care of duplicates and I may have to do that. Have a great night. Hope you don't get what we have. 10 more inches of snow coming tonight plus wind. Thank you.

Did you try using simple temp files and folders cleaners like CCleaner or TFC (Temp File Cleaner) in order to see if these affects the duplicated files ?

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Hello, I did do CC Cleaner as I use that on my machine. I am stumped but then I am not anyone who knows a lot about computers. except at times I do believe they are smarter than I am. Thank you so much for your time. Wish I knew how they got like that so I could get away from it happening again.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Hello, I did do CC Cleaner as I use that on my machine. I am stumped but then I am not anyone who knows a lot about computers. except at times I do believe they are smarter than I am. Thank you so much for your time. Wish I knew how they got like that so I could get away from it happening again.

No problem, we all learn more everyday.
Is your problem solved now ?

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I believe I am for I do not want to take things off my computer that need to be there. I do thank you for all your time. Got 8 inches of snow so far and it is still coming. Not liking that at all.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I believe I am for I do not want to take things off my computer that need to be there. I do thank you for all your time. Got 8 inches of snow so far and it is still coming. Not liking that at all.

This is good then, I'm glad that your issue is solved.
And yeah, I live in Québec so for me these kind of snowstorm are also frequent during the winter, haha !
Good luck with shoveling too !