Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent drop outs - noticed specifically on audio

• Please log in to reply

cam777cam

cam777cam

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi – I’m at loss what to do with this one and hence hoping that someone can help me!

Over the last 6 months I’ve experienced the audio intermittently dropping out for a second or so.
It generally happens every five minutes or so – although there is no apparent pattern & sometime much more frequently.

This dropout is not confined to just the audio setup as I’ve also noticed when using vsts (virtual instruments) – and I suspect that it’s happening more widely (although when using the audio applications it is most obvious).

It appears that something is interrupting everything causing the dropouts. These dropout are making recording nearly impossible and I’d like to know how to go about identifying the issue!

I’ve tried using some monitoring applications (latency monitor & dcplat) but they haven’t picked anything up – and interesting it appears that they’re also ‘freezing’ during the dropouts – leading me to think that it’s not just audio specific.

I have a Lenovo x.230 laptop (i7-3520M @2.9GHz, 16 Gig Ram, Win7-64 bit sp1, additional 120Gig SSD installed for OS).

I use the laptop for general computing and also audio recording as a hobby.
I use Ableton Live8 and Presonus Audiobox USB external interface.

Is anyone able to suggest how to start diagnosing what is causing this issue?

Thanks heaps,
Cameron.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
What audio peripheral are you using ? Headphones, speakers ?
Is the audio peripheral connected directly on : your integrated motherboard sound card, an external sound card or on your computer's case front panel (AUX) ?
What is your sound card (external or integrated), what brand and model ?

cam777cam

cam777cam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Aura,

I am using a Presonus Audiobox USB external interface. This is handling midi (to external keyboards) and audio (to external speakers).

I have disabled the internal soundcard when using my audio gear.

I have upgraded the Audiobox to the latest drivers.

I suspect that there is a process or driver somewhere that is temporarily interrupting much of the computers processing (in addition to the audio) - but don't know how to find it!

Thanks,
Cameron.