Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my XP3Pro on the brink of complete breakdown?

• Please log in to reply

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Nope. No joy with either. Exactly the same as before ending with blue error screen. Shut down.

:angry: Grrr. The machine obviously knows there is a problem - enough to give it a number. But that long-winded error number full o zeros means nothing to most people, at a crucial time when they desperately need to know, and need all the help they can get.
:ranting: Why the [bleep] don't Microsoft use that space for some GENUINE HELP - like an explanation of what the error actually is?? Too bloody helpful I s'pose..
Think of the time and stress we, and others like us, would save if it worked that way. One way or another, the problem would have been resolved p/ages ago!! It does me head in it really does. There is no need for it to be this bloomin complicated!

Sorry for my out-burst phillpower2. Rant over!

On a 'positive' note, will try rescue cd again. sigh

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Good luck with the recovery CD :thumbsup:

Couple of questions if I may;

Is your computer the mini tower model or the small desktop model (lays on it`s side).
In reply #6 you mentioned a keyboard problem had been fixed, what type of keyboard and mouse are you using as in the USB or PS/2 (purple and green connections) type.
If you are using the USB type mouse and keyboard which port/s are you using on the computer, the front or rear.
If you have the mini tower model, there are diagnostic lights on the rear of the case above where the PS/2 mouse and keyboard plug in, what do these show when the computer crashes, see page 122 here

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hello again.
See photos for answers.
The green arrow shows where the faulty keyboard was plugged in. I have since replaced it with another keyboard which is the purple 'plug'.
I also unplugged the printer/scanner cable (the one with 'p' written on it). Is that ok?**(see note below)

Big thanks for the Dell Users Guide! I have a copy of it in XP. Had a brief read and learned a bit. Can't answer the diagnostic lights question yet, but will asap. I've got a mirror set up so I can see the lights.

**Just found a note I overlooked which may/may not be helpful:
Sat 8 February 2014.
Logged in as main user, not admin (same rights).
Found this while browsing Administration Tools > Event Viewer > Application..

ERROR 6/24/2013, time 14:20:47, Brother BrLog, Event 1001. Then there was a HUGE list of entries which continued until 6/24/2013, time 14:47:19.

Worked out there were approx. 1060 entries of the same error in a period of 27 minutes!! This cannot be good. Did not affect the printer: it still worked fine. The same error showed later a few times, with a bunch of the same, repeated entries, but not as many as above. Weird or what?!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4219_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4220_crop.jpg

Edited by flat-erica, 23 February 2014 - 04:01 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Good evening and thanks for the additional information :thumbsup:

How did the recovery cd work out.

Having checked out the Brother BrLog, Event 1001 error message I don`t feel that it is responsible but it was a good idea to disconnect the printer in any event.

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Sorry - forgot to add: AVG recovery cd boot did not work m'fraid. Same as before with end bit blinking:- ISOLINUX 5.01 2013-01-28 ETCD_ .

Diag. lights A,B,C,D on back of tower are all green. In Dell manual, this means some manner of success, which is good right?
X

UPDATE
Just noticed something.. The Numbers lock is STILL ON even tho it's a different keyboard!!

UPDATE 2
Think this may be useful. Being curious, I googled the above 'Isolinux.. ETCD_'. Seems the rescue cd is not working on some Dell machines. Here's just one example of many recent queries:
http://forums.avg.co...=show&id=232879

The version I have is: avg_arl_cdi_all_120_130801a6481
On avg.com, this is available: avg_arl_cdi_all_120_140203a7055

I hope you don't think I'm getting too big for me boots but I downloaded it and will burn to cd (I have plenty blanks). I'm willing to give it a try - if you're ok with that? After all, the worst that can happen is nothing :mellow: . May do a bit of research first.
(Failing that, I'm sure there are other rescue cd options out there we could try.)

UPDATE 3
Well, fortunately I did a bit of research. Here's an interesting report which kinda says it all:
http://www.syslinux....ber/021197.html
Will forget about burning the latest version. Seems only v4 or v5 may work.

Edited by flat-erica, 23 February 2014 - 06:17 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Apologies for the delay flat-erica (a 1hr or so DIY job turned into a full blown major redevelopment :headscratch: )

Thank you for the information regarding the AVG ISO & potential Dell incompatibility issue, it is certainly one not to forget in a hurry :no:

Diag. lights A,B,C,D on back of tower are all green. In Dell manual, this means some manner of success, which is good right?

Hmm! Normally this would be a good sign as it would suggests that the computer has successfully completed POST (power on self test) thus ruling out a hardware issue, to confirm a successful POST can I ask if the keyboard that you mention has the Numbers lock on functions correctly apart from that element, the reason that I ask is because the keyboard is an item of hardware that is checked by the BIOS as part of the POST, a bad keyboard would normally result in a failed POST, please see the information here

When you try to boot up the computer now how far does the process get before it locks up.
When the computer does lock up are the mouse and keyboard still functional.
Was the previous keyboard that you were using the USB or PS/2 type.

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I know the feeling!! lol Don't worry - DIY jobs are infamous for involving more work than expected!

Hope the following info helps.

- The old keyboard was USB (in back of tower. I showed this on previous post photo). It def had a couple of dodgy keys coz I tried it with Win7.
- Replacement keyboard is not faulty. I just didn't like it and kept as a spare when I got the illuminated keyboard, which I prefer.
- While trying to fix XP, can't recall doin much in the way of typing. Used arrows, enter and F keys mainly and keyboard works fine. Same goes for mouse, which is ok as far as I know.
- XP 'stops' on blue screen with error message, there is nothing to do except switch off! Can't see how I can test the mouse if I can't get past this screen.
- It also 'stops' on this: ISOLINUX 5.01 2013-01-28 ETCD_ (with end cursor blinking). It stayed like this for over 30 mins one night. Was posting on geeks at the time!

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
x

On another note: I'd still like to try the rescue cd option, now that we know why it didn't work. Is it worth tryin out the previous version of AVG rescue, or something similar?

Edited by flat-erica, 24 February 2014 - 08:19 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for understanding :)

- It also 'stops' on this: ISOLINUX 5.01 2013-01-28 ETCD_ (with end cursor blinking). It stayed like this for over 30 mins one night. Was posting on geeks at the time!

When you press any keys on the keyboard does anything appear on the screen.

Let me explain a little so that you can see where I was coming from when I asked;

When the computer does lock up are the mouse and keyboard still functional.

When a computer is attempting to complete the POST generic drivers that are stored on the BIOS chip are used, once POST has completed successfully the BIOS chip relinquishes control of the hardware and allows Windows to take over, this is where problems can occur if 1: there are no drivers installed for one or more devices and 2: if any drivers are corrupt or causing conflicts, this is why the keyboard and mouse will often work during the POST process but then they will not once POST has completed.

By default on many Dell desktop computers USB port one on the rear of the case continues to be supported by the BIOS chip after POST has completed, for testing purposes can I ask you to disconnect the PS/2 keyboard and mouse and revert back to the USB type keyboard and connect it to the USB port one as shown in the attachment below, once we have established if there is any change in the behaviour of the computer by doing this I will provide you with information that will help you check out the HDD, both for accessibility and diagnostic testing of the mechanical components of the HDD.

You have been most helpful btw and your determination and willingness to learn is admirable :thumbsup:

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Ooer, why thank you kind sir :blush:. Just tryin my best to help solve a problem, that's all! I don't mind a bit of a challenge. And I really do appreciate your help so it's the least I can do.

Now where were we..
Read a bit about POST process (via your link). It's a lot for a non-teccy like me to take in but think I get the idea. Anyhoo here's my report:

- Dodgy usb keyboard is back in port 1. Noticed the fitting is not firm or tight when plugged in. If I touch the plug bit(!) with my finger, there is some 'play'(up n down, not sideways, if you get my drift!). Also tried printer and usb hub cables with same result. Don't like loose plugs/sockets.
Tested same 3 cables (inc. keyboard) in port next door (port 2). All three had better connection, very slight play, but not as much as in port 1. Port 1 dodgy maybe?

- Switched xp on. Blue error screen showing same 'stop errors' as before. Note no numbers lock on keyboard. Switched off.

- Switched on again, pressed F8. Number lock on.

- 'UP ARROW' on main keyboard don't work so used keypad on right. To use arrow, had to disable 'number lock' first.

- Selected SAFE MODE, hit ENTER. DRIVERS list shows, again ending at hotcore3.sys.

- When loaded, this message: Windows cannot run under Safemode. Moved mouse around screen no problem. Used mouse to select OK. Note number lock on. XP restarted automatically, ended with blue error screen again, same message! Switched off.

- Restarted. Put rescue cd in. Switched off.

- Restarted. Screen shows usual ISOLINUX 5.01 etc.... Numbers lock on. NOTHING happens when I press ENTER, or any letter. Tried right keypad - nothing. Switched off number lock, nothing. Did start 'one beep' each key press. I feel bad coz I can't recall exactly what I did to make it beep. So sorry!

- Removed cd and switched off. (XP switched back on automatically - back to blue error screen). Switched off again!!

Sorry for the quality of some pics (and how do I make thumbnails to post? Actually... forget I said that. You got enough to deal with methinks!) Well that's all I can do for now. Hope it helps.. would be sooo good to get past this hurdle and move on to the next stage!
x

FYI: Around Oct/Nov last year, I did buy a new, wireless mouse (see photo). 15 quid it cost me!
I used it for a few weeks but didn't like it. On-screen movement was not smooth when using it. May be faulty, I dunno.
The tiny red light on the underside kept flickering when (I believe) it should not. I thought 'bad signal' or something, but what do I know - I may be completely wrong! (My partner uses exactly the same kind: when red light is on, no flicker.)
I stopped using it, reverting back to my wired mouse. Ah, technology. Don't you just love it?! lol

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4233_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4234_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4235_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4236_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4238_crop.jpg

Edited by flat-erica, 25 February 2014 - 08:44 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello flat-erica

I note that one of your pictures is saying that set up will not work in Safe Mode, we don`t want to be in set up if you can get into safe mode, what happens if you restart the computer and continually tap the F8 key, will the computer boot into safe mode.

Another option shown in one of your pictures is "Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" what happens if you select that option and then press Enter.

Advertisements

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Remember I made a mistake and selected recovery console? See previous: Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:27 PM

As for F8, believe I tried this also and posted results. Later, will try yet again.
x

Edited by flat-erica, 26 February 2014 - 08:00 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:thumbsup:

When you try F8 to boot into Safe Mode can you please ensure that there is no disk in any drive.

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I did.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I did.

When previously or have you just tried again.

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Several times previously, I made sure there was no cd in drive (UNLESS I meant it to be).
AND 10 mins ago... No - computer does not boot into safemode.
This is what happened:
I continually tapped F8 and 'menu' appears > selected Safe Mode > ENTER = Win XP Setup ..cannot run under Safemode. Setup will restart (see photos)
Goin in circles now and am getting dizzy. :wacko:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4241_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4242_crop.jpg

Edited by flat-erica, 26 February 2014 - 02:52 PM.