Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen and no bootable device problems

• Please log in to reply

machiaelli2v

machiaelli2v

• Pip
  • 8 posts
dear supporter

I have acer s3-391 w/ windows 7
recently it crashed several times and gave me the blue screen
one time it crashed and gave me a message: no bootable device found. I couldn't turn it off with the power button and only a reset button (hidden) for the battery enabled me to restart the computer.
I righ-clicked on drive c->properties->tools->check now...and it found plently of correctable problems
as well I checked my computer for malware and it is clean
after these 2 procedures (malware cleaning and hard disk repair) it works fine
I'm quiet convinced that it was the harddrive that caused the problem but I'm sure that I corrected everything
As it is a critical problem, I'd like to ask your advice and maybe we you can deeper analysis of my system to verify that the hard drive is ok ..or not

thank you
M

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: machiaelli2v

Apologies for the delay in you receiving a reply :(

We should check the status of the HDD first, "how to below"

Windows 7 = Start > Control Panel > Click on the System and Security link> In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window>In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon>Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage>Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Now I need you to take an expanded screenshot and attach it to your next reply.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

machiaelli2v

machiaelli2v

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
please find attached my screen photo
thx

Attached Thumbnails

• captured screen.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I note the hibernation partition, is this an SSD storage device.

The storage space on the C: drive should not be allowed to get much lower or you will risk data corruption, keep it no less than 20% free by backing your data up to an external source.

machiaelli2v

machiaelli2v

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I don't have any SSD connected. The only connection to my laptop is USB transmitter for wireless mouse.
I have no idea what should I do with the hibernation partition.
Would you be able to guide me how to change the minimal free space on the hard disk?
thank you
M

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Your notebook specs list a 256GB SSD as the storage device, see here

Would you be able to guide me how to change the minimal free space on the hard disk?

Yes, to help with this, please run Speccy and post the resultant url for us please, details here

machiaelli2v

machiaelli2v

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
here is my speccy report:
http://speccy.pirifo...C87u6RmOn16jAc3

thank you for your help
M

machiaelli2v

machiaelli2v

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'd like to describe another "symptom" that evolved in the same time peroid: in the past there was no problem backing up my computer throuhj: control panel->system and security ->backup and restore
recently when I try to backup I get the following massage:"A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event log for more information
Details: the specified object was not found
Error code: 0x81000019"

Your help is vital
thank you
M

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

here is my speccy report:
http://speccy.pirifo...C87u6RmOn16jAc3

thank you for your help
M

Your Speccy report shows that you do have an SSD, a Micron 119GB C400-MTFDDAK128MAM (SSD) to be precise, as you are also using an external Toshiba storage device I would suggest that when you store any new data that you ensure that it is saved to the Toshiba device and not the SSD, this will avoid filling up the SSD and prevent the OS becoming damaged or corrupt.

Also from your Speccy report is the power profile details below, these settings should be changed/adjusted to avoid interruptions when the notebook is in use, you must decide on the length of time for each setting;

Power Profile
Active power scheme: Balanced Hibernation: Enabled
Turn Off Monitor after: (On AC Power): 15 min
Turn Off Monitor after: (On Battery Power): 10 min
Turn Off Hard Disk after: (On AC Power): 15 min
Turn Off Hard Disk after: (On Battery Power): 2 min
Suspend after: (On AC Power): 30 min
Suspend after: (On Battery Power): 15 min
Screen saver: Enabled (I would disable this as they tend to interfere with things)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I'd like to describe another "symptom" that evolved in the same time peroid: in the past there was no problem backing up my computer throuhj: control panel->system and security ->backup and restore
recently when I try to backup I get the following massage:"A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event log for more information

Your help is vital
thank you
M

One problem at a time please, follow up the information in my last reply first, once this issue is resolved if the two are not connected you should start a new topic on the appropriate forum, this will avoid any confusion as to which issue you are addressing.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page) thank you for understanding.

machiaelli2v

machiaelli2v

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I adjested the power settings as you recomended.

Now, if it is convinient, I'd like to describe another "symptom" that evolved in the same time peroid: in the past there was no problem backing up my computer throuhj: control panel->system and security ->backup and restore

Your help is vital
thank you
M

machiaelli2v

machiaelli2v

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I adjested the power settings as you recomended.

Now, if it is convinient, I'd like to describe another "symptom" that evolved in the same time peroid: in the past there was no problem backing up my computer throuhj: control panel->system and security ->backup and restore

Your help is vital
thank you
M

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Is the computer booting up ok now with no more blue screens.

Shadow copy is software related and not hardware so unless your storage device is hosed for the second issue can you please start a new topic on the OS forums, someone there may be able to provide a quick solution for you, post here