Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing Windows XP default email client from OE

• Please log in to reply

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Whenever I scan a document to an email, it always brings Outlook Express email up instead of Yahoo email that I use. I have changed the mailto settings in Firefox to Yahoo mail, but it didn't fix the problem & tried to change IE internet options email programs, but only 2 choices: Outlook Express & Windows Live Hotmail in my Windows XP software.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can try this: How do I make yahoo my default email in windows xp?

Don't know if it will work or not.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Ztruker...
Thx for the quick response. Here's what happened trying to instal Yahoo Messenger (YM): "Not enough free disk space to complete installation", my computer has 112GB free??? Must clear at least 100MB. Strange thing is that I had YM loaded, but NOT all the options and that's maybe my problem. So what is the next move on how to load YM/dick space issue, please?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try uninstalling YM, rebooting then install again. Make sure you have the latest version: http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Same result, error: not enough disk space.......strange cause 2 nights ago I download & installed it, which by the way still didn't work, otherwise Yahoo mail was not loaded to the drop down menu under tools/internet options/programs/email. Any suggestion on disk space problem, as stated before I have tons of free space. I can't or don't know how to direct the download to maybe a different location then downloads, which it seems to think limited?

Also I did load Yahoo toolbar, plus revised Firefox tools/options/applications/mailto from OE to Yahoo mail.....still no help.

Edited by Don Stewart, 12 February 2014 - 09:23 PM.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi Don Stewart,
Sorry for the delay in following up on your topic.

When scanning a document, for example to attach to an email, it is usually better to save the scanned image to your (say) Documents folder, or somewhere you can find it easily and then open your email in Yahoo Mail or whatever, compose the words, address it ,select subject etc., and then attach the scanned document(look for the paperclip icon--attach)

This solves the problem of the wrong email application opening.

Some Webmail like Yahoo Mail can be problematic when trying to use the "Scan to email" function.... but the above workaround does the trick(usually!)

If you are still using Windows XP then hopefully you are aware that support from Microsoft is ending next Tuesday (8th April 2014) and that it will then be unsafe to use if connected to the Internet, without taking extra ordinary precautions...
Post back if you have any questions that need amplification.
Regards
paws

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

WTT Tech Teacher.....thank you very much for the work around and that is how I have been doing it, but was just wondering if it was easily possible to do it direct.  Not sure how it is done, but this item can be closed.

Please explain the Windows XP "unsafe to use if connected to the Internet, without taking extra ordinary precautions..." unsafe if good security loaded and what would be the extra ordinary precautions one must take -vs- buying the newer Windows software, which means probably buying a new computer also!

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi Don Stewart, I hope the workaround for the email helps.

To answer your question, its going to be very difficult for many folks to use Win XP safely on the Internet after Tues (8th April 2014)

1 You mention "good security being loaded", but securing Win XP is the problem....(as no further security Updates will be issued from Microsoft, via Windows Updates, and therefore a Win XP machine is likely to become more and more vulnerable..(some would say a sitting target for the bad people that unfortunately infest the Internet) Even getting an existing anti virus product updated without connecting your XP machine to the Internet is not always straight forward.)

2 If you are diligent and very careful (and ensure only careful diligent and well trained people have access to your computer) it will be possible to reduce some of the risk.... but not eliminate it entirely.

3 Take a look here:

http://www.expertrev...ave-all-updates

4 Using your computer disconnected from the Internet is worth looking at, and only connecting when using an alternative operating system like for example a live distro of Linux (running entirely within RAM) and not saving anything to disc. Be very careful with any removable media, these can carry infection or malicious code and should not be used routinely...

5 You could also consider running XP within a virtual machine (VM) and this would help in reducing some of the risk.

6 At the very least uninstall Java(unless you desperately need it) update your machine via Windows update , make sure all other applications including Anti virus, anti spyware, Flash, Adobe etc and your firewall are all updated, and make sure your computer is free from infection, malicious elements or any undesirable applications, all junk files removed, defragged (unless using an SSD) and then make a disc image, verify it, create bootable media (able to access it) and keep at least one copy, preferably more, safe offsite on removable media. Don't forget this all needs to be done and checked carefully before Tuesday 8th April 2014.

7 To sum up please be aware of the risks involved in use of Win XP on the Internet after next Tuesday), and consider if it's time to update your machine to a more resilient operating system.

8 There is a handy tool available from Microsoft to check if your computer can run, for example Win 7, here's the link:

http://windows.micro...load-online-faq

Post back if you have any questions
Regards
paws