Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X not working as intended

• Please log in to reply

Netrus

Netrus

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello :)
So I recently bought a new computer:

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 Boxed
Gigabyte GA-H87-HD3
Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X
8GB Crucial Ballistix sport 1600MHz CL9
be quiet! Straight Power E9 450W
Samsung SSD 840 Evo Series 120GB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB
LG GH24NS95
Corsair Carbide Series 330R

This parts were suggested to me on another forum.
Everything is working fine - except the graphics card. When I play games I get artifacts, polygonbugs, and sometimes the textures seem to not load properly (tested in Tomb Raider, Guild Wars 2, League of Legends, Just Cause 2, Dota 2).

So I started googling a bit and found out that it seems to be a quite common problem with those GPUs. I already tried different drivers, lowering the GPU and Memory clock, re-installing Win7 - I contacted Sapphire support and they said that my PSU provides too low energy. I asked in the forum where they suggested me the setup and they meant it should be ok. So my first question is, if you think that the power of the PSU is enough?
I also tested my VRam using Video Memory Stresstest, since I saw a lot of people saying that those problems can be caused due to a defect VRam:

Changing video mode to 640x480x16...OK
[10.02.2014 22:27:29] Test started for "Primärer Anzeigetreiber (AMD Radeon R9 200 Series)"...
Trying 16bpp RGB:565 mode...OK
Trying 16bpp RGB:555 mode...OK
Trying 16bpp BGR:565 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)
Trying 32bpp RGB:888 mode...OK
Trying 32bpp BGR:888 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)
[10.02.2014 23:23:19] Pass completed (0 errors found).

I hope you can help me with this :)
(Sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes, English is not my native language)

Edited by Netrus, 11 February 2014 - 09:08 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Netrus

Is the video card that you have the exact same model as the one here

And your PSU the one here

Netrus

Netrus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yep, that's the stuff I have. The screen resolution is 1920x1080 and it's connected via DVI, if it matters.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sorry but the PSU output is way too low for that video card :(

System Requirements
◾PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.
◾4096MBMinimum of system memory.
◾Installation software requires CD-ROM drive.
◾DVD playback requires DVD drive.
◾Blu-ray™ / HD DVD playback requires Blu-ray / HD DVD drive.
◾750 Watt Power Supply is required.
◾1000WattPower Supply is recommended for CrossFireX™ System.
◾2X150 Watt 8-pin PCI Express power connector is required.
◾4X150 Watt 8-pin PCI Express power connector is required for CrossFireX™ system.

Newegg for example clearly show the cards system requirements, see the Specifications tab here

Do you have a link to your topic on the other forum as I am curious to see who advised you so badly.

Netrus

Netrus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ye, Sapphire support advised 550W+, i calculated it with the PSU Calculator on beQuiet!'s website, it suggested 500W+. Just gonna get a stronger one then I suppose.
I could send you the link but it's all in german so I don't know if it would help you :)

Edit: Do you have any recommended PSU, 550W+?
Edit2: Planning on going for a be Quiet! Straight Power E9 600W - should be enough right?

Edited by Netrus, 11 February 2014 - 12:20 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Ye, Sapphire support advised 550W+, i calculated it with the PSU Calculator on beQuiet!'s website, it suggested 500W+. Just gonna get a stronger one then I suppose.

As I pointed out in my reply #4 Sapphire state that a 750W output PSU is required, I got that information from here if you use anything less than what Sapphire recommend you will invalidate your warranty, the card may already be damaged and should you need to return it the technicians that test the card will know what has caused the damage.

Edit: Do you have any recommended PSU, 550W+?

Edit2: Planning on going for a be Quiet! Straight Power E9 600W - should be enough right?
The one brand of R9 280X that I found that required less than a 750W PSU was the Gigabyte and that was ok with a 600W PSU, a link to help with what PSU add on video cards require