Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lenovo K430 want to install Nvidia GTX 760

• Please log in to reply

ReluctantLenovoGuy

ReluctantLenovoGuy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hope someone on here can help. I have a Lenovo K430i Ideacenter, which came with an Nvidia 545 GPU. The computer have an inaduquate power supply. So while rectifying the power supply issue, I want to replace the GPU with a better but still affordable GPU. I can't find anyone who has installed bet than a 660. I don't want to spend the non-reundable $300.00 if the card isn't compatible.

Any experience out there with this computer and GPU card?

Here are the specs from Lenovo:

https://www.lenovo.c..._tech_specs.pdf

Edited by ReluctantLenovoGuy, 14 February 2014 - 07:42 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday ReluctantLenovoGuy, Posted Image
There are four models so we need to know which you have, is this correct, > http://www.mediamark....html?langId=-3 (this must have a decent PSU to support the 660 GPU installed)
On the link you gave PSU are no good for a GPU upgrade.
Please give the brand/model of the PSU originally installed?
What PSU are you thinking of using as the upgrade?

ReluctantLenovoGuy

ReluctantLenovoGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, thanks for the reply.

My Model is the K430 3109-2SU

CPU Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz LGA1155 Socket
GPU Nvidia GeForce GT545
Power Supply is 280 Watt not sure of the Manufacturer, but the intent was to put in a 750 Watt Corsair CX750M
Operating System is Windows 7 Home Premium

When the computer runs at high rates get an electronic buzzing and occasional poppining inside the cabinet. Although sold as a gaming computer, the power supplies included are not really sufficient for gaming. Shoot most multi-medi off the shelfs come with at least a 350 watt.

I have read on other sites that when others have attempted to install a GTX660 or 760 it screws up their system and they can't get to their bios.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
The reason the system gets messed up is because of the Lenovo special PSU used. If you think yours is faulty you will need to xontct support and find out what the replacementprocedure is.

After further research on upgrading to a 660/760, I say no, should only be attempted if you are fairly competent at electrical reassignment of the PSU plugs wiring.
The simplist is to use this converter to get main power to the MB, > http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000KKKGG8
but, without swapping wires around on other PSU plugs, you would loose all LEDS on the case front switches and probable the actuarial function, also no function of the Power Phase Switch.
A 550 watt PSU with the nec PCI-E connections would be more than enough to support a 660/760 video card. You would still need to physically measure the dimensions of the existing, to make sure a replacement would fit.

You could sell it and build your own.
Use as many parts as possible with a new MB, PSU, new OS, then sell the leftover parts individually.

ReluctantLenovoGuy

ReluctantLenovoGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
iammykyl,

Thanks for the advice. Not comfortable building a computer from scratch, although generally swapping a compenent has caused me much grief. I had a feeling there would be issues in this case. This comuper eats hard drives and suspect it's the poor power supply causing that issue.

I've decided to use this comp as a productivity machine (office, e-mail, etc) and purchasing a new machine for gaming. I've learned a lot from owning this machine, but it's not really intended for what they say it was designed to do/be. I still intend to swap out the power supply, and will probably stop there on upgrades.

Thanks again.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday,
Thanks for the update.
I would not say "do not buy a Dell/HP" but often the weak part seems to be the PSU and finding a replacement if needs _ often they have their own MBs, again problems. Have a look at sites like this where you can choose standard parts, get extended warranty and they build them for you> > http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/
We could also spec a build for you and them you could find a local compu8ter shop that would build it for you.

ReluctantLenovoGuy

ReluctantLenovoGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
iammykyl,

The link you provided is exactly who I purchased from. Just waiting for it to build and ship now.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Great. Being in OZ, I have of course not dealt with them, but they do have a good reputation. Let us know what you purchased and what you think of it.

Good luck.

ReluctantLenovoGuy

ReluctantLenovoGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
This is what I ordered:

ID-INFO 438448 HYZ87I7Z 1
MODEL1 C SERIES 1
KB-159-101 AZZA MULTIMEDIA/ INTERNET USB KEYBOARD 1
MO-125-101 AZZA OPTICAL USB GAMING MOUSE 1
SK-114-114 BLACK LOGITECH S120 5WATT SPEAKER 1
CU-208-401 INTEL I7-4770K 3.5 GHZ 8M LGA1150 RETAIL 1
HD-403-303 2TB SATA III 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB CACHE 3.5" HD 1
RM-324-202 ADATA XPG V2 8GB DDR3 1866MHZ 2
FA-104-116 CASE FAN 120 MM 1
FA-104-116 CASE FAN 120 MMM 2
FA-WATER-501 CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H60 120MM LIQUID COOLING 1
FA-104-116 CASE FAN 120 MM 2
LABEL-101 CYBERPOWER SYSTEM SERIAL NUMBER 1
CS-446-101 X-TITAN 200 BLACK FULL TOWER NO POWER 1
FD-[bleep]-107 BLACK 3.5 MOUNTING KIT 1
NL-102-102 BLUE COLD CATHOD LIGHT 12 1
CD-135-142 BLACK LG UH12LS29 12X BLU-RAY PLAYER & DVDRW COMBO 1
MB-415-101 MSI Z87-G41 PC MATE INTEL Z87 SATA 6 USB 3.0 CROSSFIREX LGA
1150 1 2/11/2014
PS-119-109 APEVIA 900WATT POWER SUPPLY 1
NC-118-104 NETIS WF-2113 802.11B/G/N 300MBPS WIRELESS PCI-E 1
2/21/2014
SW-180-D8.1 WINDOWS 8.1 DIGITAL LICENSE 1
SW-180-110 WINDOWS 8.1 64-BIT 1
BOX1 SYSTEM BOX AND FOAM 1
CABLE-PROWIRE PROFESSIONAL CABLE WIRING 1
SERVICE-301 M. FAN SERIES 1
IMAGE-MESSAGE CUSTOM MESSAGE 1
MISC COURIER NEW 1
MISC PUSH AND PULL 1
MISC ONBOARD 7.1 SOUND 1
VC-238-102 SUPERCLOCKED EVGA NVIDIA GTX 770 ACX 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E 3 1

The super clocked vidio card was a free upgrade, and they were out of the non-super clocked 770's. Don't think over clocking is something I will need to do. Playing games like Civ 5 and Battlefield series. Couldn't play Battlefield 4 at all on the Lenovo without hurting the system. The Nvidia 545 driver upgrades are evidenly clashing with Windows 7 OS. Should not have to worry about that on this rig. Meanwhile will upgrade the power supply in the Lenovo and use it for normal computing.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update, Looks a very good build, let us know how it performs please.

Mozz020

Mozz020

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I also have a Lenovo k430..

I dropped in a Novatech 600w PSU, And recently easily dropped in an Asus gtx 770 direct cuii oc with no issue. Works a charm!

NOTE: Many graphics cards do not support UEFI, So Windows 8 pc's secure boot feature will reject the Card and it won't work..
My 770 supports UEFI, But my previous 650 ti boost didn't.

Simple answer it to TURN OFF secure boot in Bios before installing new card. And just leave it off like I did because in reality you don't need it.
Then you will be good to go :)

Edited by Mozz020, 01 March 2014 - 08:06 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thank you Mozz020 for that info on secure boot and the fix. I have not used W8, so was unaware of the issue.

Mozz020

Mozz020

• Pip
  • 2 posts
No worries.

Edited by Mozz020, 01 March 2014 - 10:59 AM.

ReluctantLenovoGuy

ReluctantLenovoGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
First I have received my Cyberpower Z-87 and I love it. Great performance.

Update on the Lenovo, it finally shot craps altogether. I still intend to replace the power supply, but will now drop a new hard drive as well.

Thanks for the previous assistance.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Thank you for your update and good to see you are happy with the performance.
When installing a new HDD, for use with a new install of an OS, it it advisable to have just the new HDD connected. If the older drive is still serviceable and is to remain in the system, test the new set up to make sure it is stable, then reconnect the older drive, only transfer Data you wish to save, Format it.