Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer runs for a few seconds, then turns off

• Please log in to reply

Guilla

Guilla

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I have a problem with my new computer, I turn it on and the computer runs well for a few seconds, then it turns off, but after I try again, it all works normally again, I don't know why this happens, but happens everytime, even when I just turned it off and on, so I don't know what might be causing this.

My specs are:

Mother Board is gigabyte 990fxa ud5
CPU is amd fx8320 black edition at 3.5 GHz
Memory is Kingston Hyperx Beast at 2400MHz
GPU is gigabyte GTX760OC
PSU is a tacens Radix VI 750W

I feel like something is wrong with the computer and before it all goes to waste I would like to receive advise ^^

Thanks in advance for your response and help, it is very much appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Guilla

My first thoughts are the PSU as Tacens are not known for their quality and/or reliability, for example, the PSU that you have is claimed to put out 750W but when it was tested it only achieved 540W, see database information here, you will also note the following at the link "RealHardTechX advise against buying power supplies from this brand." that is not the sort of statement that professionals make lightly.

The quality is reflected in the price, Tacens and a quality bronze rated brand XFX

Try another quality brand 500W or above PSU for testing purposes if you can, also worth checking are ensuring that the Ram and GPU are seated correctly and that all power and fan connections are securely attached.

Guilla

Guilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, I'll give it a go but a few pals suggested me to go with tacens as they were pretty satisfied with their performance, but I'll keep it in mind after looking the link you attached, if the problem persists after a adquiring another PSU, what should I do, just to know ^^

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Guilla

While we wait on you trying an alternative PSU we should take a look at your Ram, having taken a second look at your MB specs I noted that the Ram that you have has not been tested and passed as being compatible with your MB, please see my canned text and attachment that I have included below.

For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.

In the attachment you will note the information that I have outlined in red.

How many sticks and what capacity is the Ram that you have.

Guilla

Guilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That was the problem, my ram was clocked at 2133 MHz, I tried setting it to a value lower than normal and now everything is fine and runs great again, even performance is better, as the system loads and shutts down much faster than before.

Thanks a lot for the help provided, I did read something about AM3+ only supporting 1866 dual channel, but as you can see, I forgot about that, thought the MB had more to do with the RAM than the CPU, seems I was wrong.

Again, thanks for your time and patience, I'll try saving a bit for a new PSU and when I try it, I'll report back, any suggestions?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Great news Guilla and thanks for sharing the solution :thumbsup:

Keep an eye on your temps and voltages with the MBs own monitoring software and/or HWMonitor.

Any further problems please post back here and we will take a look.