Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer has stopped working needs to restart

• Please log in to reply

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi,I am currently running windows 7 pro x64 OS....I recently got my PC cleaned of malware with the help from gtg and my PC seems to be working great although I have started receiving the message Windows Explorer has stopped working(pause).Then it says windows explorer needs to restart and my desktop then disappears and reloads.
I currently have error reporting turned on in services.
I am not getting this error a lot but it makes me wonder what the issue is.
I had a read on microsoft and according to the page on the error it could be due to a number of different reasons such as malware or corrupt graphics drivers or even faulty ram etc.
I don't think it is malware as I had help to clean my pc of malware and have also ran every free online AV scanner under the sun aswell as the usual malwarebytes and SAS including my new kaspersky AV scan and nothing gets detected,I did a scan with hitman pro which I also purchased and it found one suspicious file called oneway.dll which it quarantined but apart from that nothing.
I then read it could be a corrupt graphics driver and I recently purchased iobits driver booster pro which updated 5 of my drivers including graphics(could it be this software that has caused it?)
I tried a system restore,I had a 3rd party theme on my desktop using uxtheme multi patch which I got rid of by restoring and changing back to my basic 7 desktop theme.
I ran sfc /scannow which found and repaired errors which I think was just a repatch of my theme.
I recently changed my av to kaspersky 2014 as I got a free copy with my bank.I also purchased surf rights hitman pro as I previously stated.
A few days ago I also added a 54mm Pc Express card with two usb 3.0 inputs to my laptop and installed the correct driver for this.
So it could be down to one of any these things.
Is there anyway I could check a windows log of errors to find out what it could be due to?
I am going to purchase and upgrade my RAM from 4gb to 8gb in the near future but would like to get this sorted,I don't want to re-install my OS after all I have done to my PC as apart from this annoying error everything is working great and my laptop is going at great speed.
Any help with this issue would be great.
thanks.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Win7′s no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall - by Fred Langa

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi,thanks for that Dr.Spyware :cheers: ...that is pure class,I have been told it can be done by a local techie who fixed my Desktop one time but I thought it would be dead complicated to do.
Unfortunately,My lappy never came with a win7pro dvd,just its product sticker key on the back.
To install a fresh copy I burned an original iso copy of win7pro 64 to dvd from a site called digital river.
Would I beable to use that disc instead of an original disc as I don't know anyone with a win764 dvd?
I ran a program called rogue killer today and that found some stuff which it deleted and my OS brought back some old settings eg.my music folder would no longer show the artwork how it was when I originally installed but after running rk it is showing correctly again.
I also ran malwarebytes anti-rootkit,it found nothing.
And I ran gmer but can't make head nor tail of the report so I was going to ask someone on here to go over the report.
I have not had an Explorer has stopped working error yet though and I have been on my laptop for ages.
PS...I just purchased an original oem dvd online so I'll beable to go ahead with the repair.

Edited by mrpooh3, 17 February 2014 - 10:56 AM.