Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen- working.. but what next?

• Please log in to reply

Crunchy6409

Crunchy6409

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
(This forum is amazing by the way!)

I was trying to update my Catalyst Control Center and things froze. Left it for a little and nothing happened. I got impatient and manually restarted. Blue screen! Windows would not start.

1. I tried letting Windows do its own repair with the installation CD- could not do anything

2. I followed the directions on this site to create a new master boot record. This allowed me to get into safe mode which I could not do before

3. Starting windows normally still resulted in a blue screen. The blue screen mentioned something about "ATIHDW76" so I did some searching and something somewhere told me to go find that file within the windows32 directory and delete it. I did this.

4. Still no luck. Still in safe mode, I uninstalled my graphics driver and let Windows install the generic VGA driver.

5. I tried the windows repair disc again and it said something about how errors in the startup file were found, should it fix and boot up? I selected yes and I'm back into windows. (woohoo!)

My question: What now? Are there diagnostics that I can undergo to be sure whatever this was is weeded out?
THANK YOU!

***I should note that the reason I started messing with the GPU in the first place is that any software I check show it running at 81 degrees Celsius IDLE! The fan is barely running!

Edited by Crunchy6409, 17 February 2014 - 08:12 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Crunchy6409
I note your reason for upgrading the drivers, low fan speed would cause high temps, could be the software or possible a faulty fan. What software are you using to control the GPU temp/fan profile?
I recommend a clean install of the Catalyst software.
Please download and run >http://support.amd.c...riversAuto.aspx
Stop at step 7, do not install yet, follow the instruction at step 8, please read, do not install yet.

Please download this uninstaller, on the left of the page, Download version 12.0 > http://www.guru3d.co..._download.html/
Please read the instructions. > Run the uninstaller. On the restart, if the "found new hardware" pops up, cancel.
From the desktop, click on the CCC install, follow the prompts. Please report the results.

If any instructions are not clear, let us know before proceeding.

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
(apparently I remembered my other username & password)

Thanks for the help! I will do this later today when I get home from work!

PS- I am not using anything specific to control GPU temp/fan profile- I assumed that this was built into the Catalyst Control Center?....

Edited by Crunchy409, 18 February 2014 - 03:12 PM.

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Done!

I did everything as you listed and things are running very smoothly! My GPU still is at 80 Celsius. Could you help me with that as well?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
I don't actually run CCC at all (not required to run a GPU) but use the software that came with my Asus GPU, "Smart Doctor". When you launch a game like BF4, in game setting are engaged but temp/fan settings are still controlled by the profile set in the software you are using.
What brand/model video card do you have?

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I'm not a huge fan of CCC and in fact I actually have an Asus GPU as well! I remember back in 08 when I built this computer that I had smart doctor installed. No idea why I don't have it any more. Thinking that when I went over to Windows 7 I forgot to bring it along. If I want to install that as well... is there something special I need to do? Uninstall CCC?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
No need to uninstall CCC, this saves me explaining, > http://www.processli...prove-pc-speed/
Post a screenshot of the startup tab, if not all showing, scroll up and take another. We can see if there are other programs not needed at startup.
Go to the Asus site for your card and download the latest ver of Smart Doctor. Let us know if it enables you to control the fan and if it brings your temps down. At idle you should be about 40/50C.

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hello!

I took CCC off of the startup list, which I can give you screen caps of later if you want. the Smart Doctor, with "smart cooling" is keeping the GPU at about 58 celsius using medium & fast fan speeds.

When I put the control on auto fan, it pretty much turns it off and lets the temp skyrocket.

I probably need to clean out dust, etc... any other suggestions or just roll with it how it is?

thanks so much!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

I probably need to clean out dust, etc... any other suggestions or just roll with it how it is?

Yes, a good general clean will help, You will only be able to do a limited clean of the GPU as access to internal airways is limited, Use a can of compressed air, be sure to prevent the fans from spinning by gently touching with a finger.
Try using the smart cooling and see what temps you get.

Please do upload the shots for the start up list.

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I have smart cooling set at these temps: 45-50-55-60 and I'm at 53 celsius with fan at 81% speed

Will clean this weekend.

How do I get an image to show up? Tried linking to a google docs photo file but it says I'm not allowed to use that image extension (.png)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Instruction for those not familiar with Taking a screenshot and uploading to G2G.

With the image or file you want to capture showing on screen.
> Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side. (nothing appears to happen, but the image has been saved to the clipboard)
> now click on start > all programs > accessories > paint,
> in the window that opens, > left click in the white area,
> press CTRL + V,
> click on file, > click on save, > save it to your desktop, give it a meaningful name, make sure to save as JPG,
If you have more than one screenshot to take, please close Paint then repeat the procedure.

Start your reply by clicking on, Use Full Editor
> type your reply,
> Click on, Click To Attach File, (lower left)
> In the window that opens, > Left click on the image/file you saved. To attach another file, > Click on, Click To Attach file, when finished,
> Click, Add Reply.

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hello!

So sorry for the slow response. I've included my startup screen, but just for the items that are actually checked to begin on startup. Is that ok?

Also, I am using "Smart Cooling" and running at 58 celsius. I'm going to try and clean it out with an air can soon. Thanks for the tip about holding the fan still- I did not know that one!

Attached Thumbnails

• Startup.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

Posted Image. Thanks for the update. I will only give a limited amount of alterations each time, then see how the system runs.
From msconfig, untick the following, > click Apply, close, > restart the computer, from the Desktop, not the case button.
Microsoft Office.
Rainmeter.
Java ™
Easy Bloom.
Akamai net session
It appears to be Akamai's download manager and peer-to-peer caching client. Possible installed by a game download, you may need it to run in the future,
Infor. If the software or media publisher uses the feature and if you enable it, NetSession can also use a small amount of your upload bandwidth to enable other users of the NetSession Interface to download pieces of the publisher's content from your computer. The NetSession Interface runs in the background and uses a negligible ?? amount of your computer resources or upload bandwidth when you are not actively downloading content.so you should alter it's start status, see below. http://www.akamai.co...nt/csd_faq.html

In the Run box, type, services.msc > enter, go fullscreen.

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I left rainmeter but took care of everything else! Thanks for the info about the Akamai net session. I will be doing a fresh install of Windows 7 on a SSD in the next month or so, which will be sweet! I've been talking with another great tech over on the system upgrade forum.

Thanks so much for your help. Let me know if there is anything else I should try.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Just reading through your other topic. Given that you are thinking about a SSD and clean install of the OS, it would be more productive to not do any other alterations to your existing build on this topic as it is actually working.
This topic is not closed but I will switch and sticky beak with Phillpower2, > http://www.geekstogo...de/page__st__60