Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 - Cannot install, requires admin privileges [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

McDiamond

McDiamond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I couldn't even get that far. As soon as I unzipped, I was again told that I need admin privileges.
Posted Image

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK time to work outside of windows ... Do you have a USB handy and another computer to download and run ?

Download the following three programmes to your desktop :

1. Rufus

For 64bit systems
2. Windows 7 64bit RC I will PM the download link
3. Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64

Insert the USB stick Then run Rufus
Posted Image
Select the ISO file on the desktop via the ISO icon.

Press Start Burn
Posted Image
Then copy FRST to the same USB

Posted Image

Insert the USB into the sick computer and start the computer. First ensuring that the system is set to boot from USB
Note: If you are not sure how to do that follow the instructions Here

When you reboot you will see this although yours will say windows 7.
Click repair my computer
Posted Image

Select your operating system
Posted Image

Select Command prompt
Posted Image

At the command prompt type the following :

notepad and press Enter.
The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
In the command window type e:\frst64.exe and press Enter
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
The tool will start to run.
When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Posted Image
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

McDiamond

McDiamond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ah, man... My system is 32-bit and at the moment, I've only got this one computer to work with.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK bear with me a second whilst I have a quick rethink ...

McDiamond

McDiamond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Appreciate this.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK an old programme but good

1. Please download The Avenger by Swandog46 to your Desktop.
2. Copy all the text contained in the code box below to your Clipboard by highlighting it and pressing (Ctrl+C):

Begin copying here: 
Registry keys to delete:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\avcenter.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\avguard.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\avp.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\bdagent.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ccuac.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ComboFix.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\egui.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\hijackthis.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\keyscrambler.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\mbam.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\MpCmdRun.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\MSASCui.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\MsMpEng.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\msseces.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\spybotsd.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\wireshark.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\zlclient.exe

Registry values to delete:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run|Windows COM Host 

Note: the above code was created specifically for this user. If you are not this user, do NOT follow these directions as they could damage the workings of your system.

3. Now, start The Avenger program by clicking on its icon.

Posted Image

• Right click on the window under Input script here:, and select Paste.
  • You can also click on this window and press (Ctrl+V) to paste the contents of the clipboard.
  • Click on Execute
  • Answer "Yes" twice when prompted.
4. The Avenger will automatically do the following:
  • It will Restart your computer. ( In cases where the code to execute contains "Drivers to Delete", The Avenger will actually restart your system twice.)
  • On reboot, it will briefly open a black command window on your desktop, this is normal.
  • After the restart, it creates a log file that should open with the results of Avenger’s actions. This log file will be located at C:\avenger.txt
  • The Avenger will also have backed up all the files, etc., that you asked it to delete, and will have zipped them and moved the zip archives to C:\avenger\backup.zip.
5. Please copy/paste the content of c:\avenger.txt into your reply along with a freshOTL log .

THEN

Download this copy of a renamed combofix to your desktop and run

https://dl.dropboxus...76/Winlogon.exe

McDiamond

McDiamond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The link you provided for Avenger didn't work, but that's alright. I found it here.

About to execute. Standby...

McDiamond

McDiamond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ugh! This thing is really stuck in there.
Posted Image

I'm getting a set of errors. "Error: can't open file 'C:\etc___' (error 5: access is denied.)

Error: Could not open script file.
Aborting execution! (error 6: the handle is invalid.)

Error: can't open file 'C:\avenger.txt' (error 5: access is denied.)

Error: Could not log error messages to file. (error 6: the handle is invalid.)

McDiamond

McDiamond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
After the steps I've gone through, I can now see that my account (along with all other accounts) are set to Standard User. When I try to change the account to administrator status, it resets itself, even if I try to reboot afterwards. The main symptom I'm having is that I cannot install any new programs, which is greatly hindering a project I'm trying to make headway in.

I have tried going to My Computer, right-clicking the C: drive, choosing Properties, then Security, and Edit Users to have Full Control, Modify, and Write in addition to Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, and Read - the former three of which are already checked.

This attempt leaves with yet another error:

Error Applying Security
An error occurred while applying security information to:
C:\
Access is denied.

and

Windows Security
Unable to save permission changes on Local Disk (C:).
Access is denied.

Grrr...

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK this is really being a pain in the posterior. If this fails we will need to work outside of windows.

When this programme downloads then right click and select run as administrator. Enter the password if asked

• Download RogueKiller and save it on your desktop.

NOTE: If using IE8 or better Smartscreen Filter will need to be disabled
  • Quit all programs
  • Start RogueKiller.exe.
  • Wait until Prescan has finished ...
  • Click on Scan
Posted Image

• Wait for the end of the scan.
  • The report has been created on the desktop.
  • Click on the Delete button.
Posted Image

• Next click on the ShortcutsFix
    Posted Image

Please attach: All RKreport.txt text files located on your desktop.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.