Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Something wrong with PC... USB and 2nd HDD disappearing

• Please log in to reply

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Before I describe my problem, I upgraded to a SSD and a new motherboard just a few weeks ago. The SSD I am running now is a 250 GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series. The new motherboard I upgraded to is Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (AMD).

The issue I am having is an odd one. It seems whenever I plug in a USB (either a flash drive/external hard drive, etc) it takes the computer a good 30 seconds or more to recognize I plugged in a USB. Once it took about three minutes for it to recognize I plugged in my flash drive. Then often at times it will immediately recognize a USB. It seems to just switch on and off on the time it takes. It does the same for when plugging in a new device. It took 30 seconds or so for Windows to begin finding the necessary drivers.

Another issue I believe is part of this is sometimes my second hard drive (1TB Hitachi) will disappear. When I go to My Computer I no longer see the drive, only my SSD. It was there just before until I plugged in my flash drive. The one time it disappeared it happened randomly, out of the blue. No USB was plugged in... This doesn't happen all the time though, this is the third time it has happened since upgrading back in January. Every time it has happened I simply restarted and the hard drive would re-appear again. So I don't believe there is anything wrong with the drive itself. At this current moment, the drive is not showing, but I plan on restarting after this post.

Another thing, I opened up DriverMax and it gave me this error message: "DriverMax has detected a serious windows folder problem and cannot work correctly!". I figured maybe it was worth mentioning.

So I honestly am not sure what the issue is here, and why it takes awhile to detect a USB/and why my second hard drive likes to randomly disappear. It is either an issue with the SATA cables/USB cables/the motherboard itself/the ports on the motherboard. I'm not entirely sure, hence this post.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Ech0es.
When you installed the OS, did you have only the SSD connected to SATA #0 port and set to AHCI mode in the BIOS?
Which number ports are you using for the HDD and OD?
Have you enable S.M.A.R.T. in the BIOS?
Please go to device manager. Under Universal Serial Bus Controller, are there any yellow or red flagged devices?

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Thank you for the reply. Yes, when I installed Windows 7 only my SSD was connected. After it installed, I connected my HDD. Not sure of the ports, will have to check on that another time. Also with S.M.A.R.T. in the BIOS. I am going out of town this weekend but can check when I get back and update my post. And lastly, nothing in device manager is flagged. All devices are good there.

Another thing I feel I should mention, is it seems to happen whenever a USB is plugged in. For example, I have a wireless Mouse and keyboard, both different USB receivers. I never have any issues with my keyboard or mouse when booting up Windows.

Edited by Ech0es, 21 February 2014 - 05:50 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posted Image Have you got a PS/2 mouse?

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
No it is a wireless mouse, plugged in via USB. Same with the keyboard. They use two different receivers though.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
These are the ports being used:

SATA Port0 - SSD
SATA Port1 - HDD
SATA Port3 - CD/DVD Rom

And S.M.A.R.T. is not enabled either. I downloaded the chipset drivers and installed them. Restarted and so far it appears there are no issues. Motherboard is detecting a USB immediately as it should be. But before sometimes it would work and sometimes not. So only time will tell for sure.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update.
As there appears not a problem with the SATA ports, I would leave as is.
Also looks like updating/installing the chipset drivers has fixed the problem with the USB detection, one or more were possible corrupted.
If you do get any more issues, just pot back.
Good lu7ck.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Yep if any other problems arise I'll post back. Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome, Posted Image

PcTestCard

PcTestCard

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I beleived this seems more like Bios and mobo chipset driver issues.

I agreed most USB devices conflict caused by the softwares can be corrected by installing the new mobo chipset driver and followed by a reboot for the new chposet driver to take effect.

Sometimes, the device conflicts may also cause by the incompatible Bios settings as well.
First try reset the Bios default, and/or search if the mobo Bios version need to be updated as well.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Tech Manager, WPTinc.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Thank you for your reply. I believe now it is working since updating the chipset. But like I said, time will tell. In the meantime, I will hold off on attempting anything else until I see the problem return. My luck, I'd break something else lol.

I can reset the BIOS should the issue arise again. Also, I don't believe my BIOS require an update. My current BIOS date is 7/15/13 and the latest they have is for my motherboard is 7/22/13. Updating BIOS is a total last resort thing for me. Hopefully the chipset did the trick and none of this will be necessary.

I thank you again for the reply and your help. It is very much appreciated.

Jeannette M

Jeannette M

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I also had the problem "DriverMax has detected a serious windows folder problem and cannot work correctly." Restore of a system backup helped, but the problem returned. 

After a lot of stress I found out what was the cause.

I did have several not-working shortcuts in Windows Explorer, such as Application Data, Cookies, Local Settings, Menu Start, NetHood, Networkprintersurrounding, Sendto and Templates. Clicking them got the error message that the location was not accessible and access was denied. So these shortcuts were useless and unnecessary and I removed them.

Happily, the removed shortcuts were still in my trash when I thought this might be the problem. I moved them back to their original location and DriverMax worked again.