Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Double Startup problem with XP

• Please log in to reply

kfoster

kfoster

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
When I turn on my computer, Windows boot up to my desktop and then shutdown and reboot again. It come up normally the second time and display this messages:

Computer restarted after an unexpected shutdown
Microsoft Windows detected a possible device failure

The driver for the display device was unable to completed a drawing operation

Then it list my video card which is Nvidia 5700 FX Ultra
I click the detail button and display this:

Error Signature
szAppName: Driver Display szAppVer 10DE0341A100000000
szModName: nv4_disp.dll szModVer: 6.14.10.7184

Error Report Contents
C:\Windows\Logfiles\Watchdog\050606_1742_01.wdl

I know that Mod version number is my video driver. I seen it when I run Dxdiag. I check the Nvidia website for the latest driver, which is version number 71.84

I also check the display properties in device manager and it said it running properly. I even downloaded an earlier version of the video driver a that did'nt work.

Once the computer is up I don't have any video our display problem, running at 1024-778 resolution 32 bit color, it just doing a double bootup that annoying.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi Kfoster. I had a similar problem with my system rebooting. I found a solution on another forum which worked for me. First, make sure you have downloaded the current driver (looks like you have...). Then go to http://www.drivercleaner.net/ and get driver cleaner (it is free). Go to add/remove programs and remove the nvidia driver. Then boot into safe mode and run driver cleaner TWICE, each time deleting all that it finds. Then reboot and install the new video driver.

kfoster

kfoster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I tried using the drivercleaner as you suggested, but it gave me more problem then I expected. I set it up to removed nvidia driver but it must have removed some others, because after I did the cleaner, windows pop up and said certian files were missing and it wanted me to insert a disk.
Lets just say to recover, I had to reload Windows XP and my motherboard driver.
Anyway I installed the video driver and I still have the same problem, only this time instead of auto rebooting, it goes to a blue screen saying nv4_disp.dll could not completed its functions and does a memory dump. I usually hit the reset button to cause it to boot up normally. But I still get the error message that my video is the source of the problem.
I checked my video card T/S guide and it suggested to check my BIOS configuration. I verified a few of the setting, but my motherboard did not have all the setting that was listed in the guide.

Any other suggestions