Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bit of advice for a *complete* novice?

• Please log in to reply

BettyCupcake

BettyCupcake

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I need to get my son (13) a "gaming" computer. Budget is around $500 (I already have a monitor for him). He's a Minecraft addict, and he plays L4D2 sometimes, so these are the games that it needs to run. I'm a gamer myself but my pc was built when I got it so I have no prior experience. I admit I am a complete and utter helpless case when it comes to the whole build a rig thing, so pre-built is my only option.

I looked at this one and someone told me it was a good choice:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883220448

Also this one seems decent?
http://www.walmart.c...cluded/26464578

If anyone wants to suggest something different, that's great. I do need it to include an OS, but we have everything else (wifi, peripherals, monitor).

Oh, I want to buy it this week if that matters.

Any and all advice would be helpful and I really appreciate anyone taking the time to advise. Thanks!

Edited by BettyCupcake, 23 February 2014 - 07:20 PM.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
:welcome:

Hi, i would wait for an even more experienced person here to answer you more.

But from my knowledge of PC games, which i use a few.

For one $500. is a bit low for a Gamer PC, now for one just using for software,music and videos, maybe yes.

Second ,Games these days are getting more and more higher graphics and demand higher end graphics cards and more RAM to play.

L4D2 not too great a demand along with Minecraft, but if he decides get more newer games you will need a system with at least 8GB RAM ,at least 2GB on a Video card (not integrated card, PCI-E slot one), plus the least a 3rd or 4th generation Intel i5 processor.

NewEgg is a great place to buy from, ASUS is good one, but only an Intel i3 though, that walmart one i never heard of.

Wait for more answers if you can, hope some of this helps you.
:spoton:

Edited by jds63, 23 February 2014 - 11:41 PM.

BettyCupcake

BettyCupcake

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you =)

L4D2 not too great a demand along with Minecraft, but if he decides get more newer games

Well he is only 13 so I wouldn't allow him to get too into video games, would rather he focus on schoolwork and socializing, so I'm not worried about newer fancier games. I don't see him becoming interested in anything graphic intensive anyway. Just not his thing. As it is, Minecraft is the one game hobby he has. So if these computers I listed can run these two games that would be great.

Thank you for taking the time to help! :)

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Thank you =)

L4D2 not too great a demand along with Minecraft, but if he decides get more newer games

Well he is only 13 so I wouldn't allow him to get too into video games, would rather he focus on schoolwork and socializing, so I'm not worried about newer fancier games. I don't see him becoming interested in anything graphic intensive anyway. Just not his thing. As it is, Minecraft is the one game hobby he has. So if these computers I listed can run these two games that would be great.

Thank you for taking the time to help! :)

Your quite welcome.

Your a good mother i see, you are right too much video gaming is not good, school is important, yes best to be outside socializing.

Funny L4D2 has a mature rating anyway

First ASUS you posted has poor ratings.

This is a good deal although $ 150. over your price range, but it is an Intel i5 8GB RAM Dell
Has enough for most application today, separate Video card which is good for games and videos and can always be upgraded in future.
Think this can be a good one, it is not too far behind in technology to have for number of years to come.

Try looking at NewEgg's clearance PC's, NewEgg Always trust this company, good reputation, alot of times free shipping and coupons.

With a $500. limit it would be impossible to say you will get a gaming PC unless is was quite old or used one.

Stick with name brands, play it safe,Dell, ASUS,HP.

Google is your good friend :thumbsup:

Me i do my homework first, internet great resource,GOOD LUCK!!

Edited by jds63, 24 February 2014 - 04:47 PM.