Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Diagnostic showed Memory Problem

• Please log in to reply

thespo

thespo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I ordered RAM from Crucial and installed it on my HP6520f desktop computer. It worked for two weeks then wouldn't boot. After several attempts to get it started, I did manage it by tapping F8 and clicking on Repair My Computer. It did. But several days later, again, the same problem even though the computer recognized the new RAM. Now when I try to use Safe Mode with Networking, the screen comes up, and then I hear a "click" from inside the computer and the screen goes blank and monitor light blinks although the computer blue light shows it is running. I am at a loss as to why. Now I can't get the computer to boot at all. I have unplugged the power cord and depressed the power buitton for five seconds but nothing. Can you please help?

Edited by thespo, 25 February 2014 - 11:37 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The title of your post says: Diagnostic showed Memory Problem

Is that true? If so try removing 1/2 the memory and test. If the same swap memory and test again. That should allow you to determine what memory is causing the problem.

thespo

thespo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks and I'll give that a try but the click that I heard within the computer housing and then suddenly the screen went blank, the monitor light started blinking while the computer stayed on. Would that be a RAM issue? The "click" sound could be indicative of what? I really didn't know how to post this question since I didn't know where the question subject might fall. And if the computer recognizes the RAM installed could the RAM installed be bad? These things I just don't know.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello thespo

Is the computer at the attached link the model that you have, see here and if yes can I ask if you are using the MBs integrated video chip or an add on video card.